Sunday, June 9, 2013

Post Birthday Monday Musings

It was a good birthday.

My campaign to be 48 rather than 58 met with mixed reaction.  Sometimes when you kid as much as I do people don't always know when I'm serious.  But I thought it was a pretty good plan.  It seemed reasonable.  And why not?  If age is just a number shouldn't we have more discretion in deciding what age we want to be?

My present was to go to a book convention, one that specialized in pulp magazines, old genre books and some comics.  I found the Twilight Magazine from the early 80s that had Jack McDevitt's first published short story in it, The Emerson Effect.  This award wining author discussed it with us when he was our special guest at the last Writer's Guild meeting.

My desert was a Cinnamon roll with maple frosting.  It tasted very good.  Thankfully, Alison did not try to put candles on it.

I have another Writer's Guild meeting Tuesday, and an important Flying Dragon meeting Wednesday.  Then Friday is hour House Blessing and House Party.  Busy week, but I hope Saturday or Sunday includes The Man of Steel.  Really looking forward to that movie.

I am reading the Second Wizard of Oz book by L. Frank Baum.  It is definitely weirder than the first, almost Lewis Carroll-like in it's nonsensical approach.  One of the ideas is General Jingur and her all-female army.  Not quite as progressive as it sounds, but nevertheless an interesting idea for its time.

Until next time,

T.M. Strait

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did. The best part is that I got to spend the day with my Dad!

    ReplyDelete