Monday, April 7, 2014

Coney Weekend and Other Monday Musings




We have our fourth foster!  Well, that's counting our first, Pixie Dust, as our first, when she was really more of an adoption.  Because she is still with us, fitting right in with the family and our other two dogs, Ellie and Cocoa Bear.

Ethan is a Beagle mix (that looks almost more like a Dachshund mix than some of our Dachshund mixes) who was shot in the leg, and is at the tail end of his recovery.  We have to keep him quiet, with great stretches in his crate, so as not to get him too rowdy as he nears the end of his healing.  He wears a cone on his head to prevent scratching and distractions.

He is an incredibly sweet tempered dog who has taken very quickly to our family.  He is going to make someone an excellent adoption, and will be a first-rate pet.

----------------------------------

I didn't do a whole lot this weekend,  It was somewhat shortened by work.  I also was terribly run down by Friday, but I got a greater amount of sleep than usual  Friday night and Saturday morning.  We did get out to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier, a movie that was immense great fun.  I am not a big fan of car action sequences.  I either get tired of them, or worry too much about the bystanders and innocents that logically must get in the way.  But the ones in this movie were very well done and exciting, really the best I've seen since Terminator 2.

After the movie we ate at a local restaurant, called something like LL CreekyBean, and had a nice meal.  It's the second time we've been, and have found they have a tasty and unique variety of food.  Alison had a grilled chicken sandwich that had strawberry BBQ sauce on it, and I had a hamburger that had BBQ pork and cole slaw on it.

-------------------------------

92.381% of tax season has been completed.  Seem like a lot?  Not when there is still a week and a day left, with some of the more unique returns left.  At least I can start fantasizing about the many things I probably will want to get to but don't if I am fortunate enough to take a mini-break after the 15th.  We'' see.

----------------------------------

Speaking of things that I think I might get to but might not, I am a-swirl with ideas for the Okefenokee Heritage Center and the Writer's Guild.  I will try to introduce them at tomorrow night's Writer's Guild meeting, but it will probably just be a sketch at this point.

I am somewhat worried about attendance, as I have been limited in my promotion of the upcoming meeting.  Hopefully, I can improve in that regards.

------------------------------

It looks like it might not be until next Fall that I am in another play.  I am looking forward to seeing what WACT will have to offer.  This May, I am excited to see Driving Miss Daisy, starring my good friend and fell ow Grace Episcopalian, Anita Lynn.  She will be extraordinary, and I am delighted to hear that Eric Redmond is going to be back to reprise his award-winning performance as the chauffeur.

---------------------------------

This was pointed out in story I saw.  Alf Landon ran for President in 1936 on the platform of repealing Social Security and strangling the new program in it's crib.  He lost horribly. a truly massive defeat.

In 1964, Barry Goldwater ran, placing a good deal of his emphasis on preventing Medicare from passing and taking hold.  He lost horribly, a truly massive defeat.

Now it appears as likely as not, that the Republicans will run in 2016 a candidate dedicated to the repeal and removal of the Affordable Care Act (or as many around here say, in a sneering snarling voice, Obamacare).  A program that has brought millions in to the system that had been excluded and left out.  A program, that despite it computer glitches and flaws, has and will benefit virtually everyone in the country.

1936....1964...and now 2016.  Yeah, Republicans.  Good luck with that.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait



No comments:

Post a Comment