Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ripping Good Yarns: Put On the Telly to the BBC!

We have recently rediscovered the BBC at the Strait household!



I started Orphan Black two weeks ago, having only seen the premiere episode months ago off of Amazon Prime.  It is an amazing show.  Alison is now watching the episodes so that we can watch the premiere of the second season together.  The lead actress, Tatiana Maslany, does multiple roles the best I've ever seen them done, and clearly should have won the Emmy for her performances.  That is Tatiana pictured above, in three of her many personas.





We are stream watching the great Doctor Who series, and are  in the second season of the revival.  David Tennant and Billie Piper (as Rose Tyler) make a great combination.  Benjamin is enthralled by this show, and it is always his first choice when we watch something together.





Alison and I were streaming Downton Abbey (technically this may not strictly be a BBC show, but you know, close enough for a post featuring British television)), and hope to get back to it now that some of the regular network series are ending.  We're somewhere in Season 3, I think, and it's been difficult keeping all the spoilers I've found out about from Alison, but I'm doing the best I can.  The servant/master relationship is sometimes difficult for me to handle, and I wish the show was a little more socially conscious, but all in all, it is very well written and draws you into its world.



A new one we discovered is A Real History of Science Fiction, the first episode focusing on robots and artificial intelligence.  Most of it was about movies, but there was some interview footage with Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke, which I appreciated.  Alison saw Nathan Fillion in the promotion footage and said, "I'm in!"


And that is just the barely scratched surface of what the BBC has to offer!  There are many great comedies we need to get to, and countless other shows.  All hail the BBC!

The post title is pretty much a direct steal from the fabulous Austin Powers/Ming Tea hit, The BBC Song!  Yeah! Groovy, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment