Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Condiment Potpourri - So Much More than Ketchup

So people who know me sort of, well, tend to think I put ketchup on everything.

Au contraire!

It is true that I put ketchup on things you normally might not, but I do not put it on everything.  Here is a food list and my preferred condiments -


Hamburger - I prefer a wide variety of condiments on hamburgers, and it does include ketchup.  But it also includes mustard, pickles and a wide variety of cheeses.  I also sometimes like mushrooms, bacon, or BBQ sauce.

Hot Dog - mustard, onions, and relish.  NO KETCHUP. Sometimes cheese.

BBQ sandwich - sweetest BBQ sauce that you can find, pickles.  Occasionally cheese.

Mexican - now this is what stands out in people's minds about me and ketchup.  Because I am an unapologetic ketchup user on Mexican foods. I sometimes will use some mild/sweet salsas but as an addition to ketchup - not a replacement.  I am not a huge fan of heat, but I am of sweet, and for me, ketchup provides the perfect balance against the spiciness of the Mexican food.  I also like sour cream,  And, of course, cheese.

Italian - marinara.  And cheese.  Lots and lots and lots of cheese.

Grits - mustard, and cheese. Sharp cheddar is the best.

Sausage 'n' Cheese Biscuit - the South's greatest invention.  And I add.....mustard.

Steak - ketchup.

Chick Fil A and other chicken sandwiches - ketchup.

Pork and pork sandwiches - BBQ sauce and sometimes ketchup.

German - mustard.

Chinese - sweet and sour sauce.

Greek - Tzatziki, and also like ketchup on Gyros.  Sometimes cheese, particularly feta.

Broccoli - vinaigrette dressings, Parmesan.

French Fries - ketchup.

most beans - ketchup.

Seafood  - scallops and fried clam strips is tarter sauce and/or ketchup.  Fish is ONLY long John Silvers with malt vinegar and ketchup.  Sometimes remoulade, which is hard to find.

Japanese and stir-fry - white sauce (Yum Yum Sauce).

I will add some condiments to soup sometimes, but what I add varies dramatically due to whatever the soup is, and whatever strikes my fancy.  Sometimes I add cheese to soup.

Cereal - milk.

That is all the categories I can think of this early day.  If anyone else has questions about other food items,  just ask and I will let you know!

Sincerely,

The Ketchup King (AKA the Cheese Wiz),

T. M. Strait




No comments:

Post a Comment