Monday, June 2, 2014

Madelyn's Back! and Other Monday Musings

Madelyn Rimes looking at a framed photo signed by parishioners, and held by Rev. Kit Brinson.


The highlight of the weekend was definitely a visit by Madelyn Rimes, one of our church's dearest members, who had moved to North Georgia, and had not been back to visit in some three years.  We celebrated her 90th birthday, and age has dampened the spirit of God and love moving through her.  Many who joined our church can testify that her friendliness and openness that convinced  them to attend Grace Episcopal.  Many were first invited to come because of her.

Madelyn, since moving, has called us to talk primarily to Benjamin, whom she adores.  She was surprised to see that he is now taller than both Alison and I.  

We had a good crowd for her visit, and she definitely lifted the spirits of the whole church.  We had a luncheon centered on an Italian theme.  My brain almost short-circuited attempting to try every single pasta and delicious Italian dish.  I had to loosen my belt a few notches in order to waddle away.

I have ad an arthritis-like flare up in my right foot, and it has been difficult to get around.  The pain peaked Wednesday, and has been subsiding, but now the pain in my left foot has increased, mostly due to over-compensating with it.  I had a couple of days when I was even using a cane. This happens about once a year, and mostly I just have to wait it out.  Doctors have ruled out gout.

We visited Jacksonville on Friday.  It was my first trip out of town with Alison and Benjamin since December, and I wasn't going to let a little thing like pain and having to use a cane stop me from going.  We had a great time, highlighted by a trip to Chamblin Bookmine, perhaps the most awesome used bookstore I have ever been in.  It is built like a maze, and it's almost underground feel reminds me very much of the great recurring dream I've had throughout my life - that there is a huge underground library, hidden in a basement underneath the basement of my old Bridgeport home. I highly recommend this bookstore to any book-lover in the area who has  not tried it (Kimberly B...Chris J...Julianna L...are you listening?) 

We ate at The Cheesecake Factory, where I discovered a new favorite - Chicken Madeira.  Thinly sliced and perfectly cooked chicken breast covered with mushrooms, mozzarella and a light marinara.  I loved it!  Cheesecake I got plain with strawberries - sometimes simple is the best.

We went to this place that analyzed your feet and walk, and we found out that Alison pronates.  I thought at first it had something to do with grammar, but they clarified it was how she was walking.  Anyways, she got some really great tennis shoes and sandals that should help be more comfortable, and cause less stress on her hips and back.

No movies out this weekend.  Did see Prisoners with Hugh Jackman off the telly.  Not a bad movie, even though it was fairly predictable.  The torture stuff was excruciating, and cut tremendously your ability to sympathize with the lead character.  Just my opinion.

I have been at Higginson & Paulk 15 years now.  That may not sound impressive to some, but it means a lot to me.  It is almost three times longer than I held any other job.  I am grateful they have been able to put up with me.  The biggest thing about it is that I get my first bump up in vacation time since completing the first year - an extra three days - woohoo!  California - here we come!

Until next time!

T. M. Strait




No comments:

Post a Comment