Sunday, June 29, 2014

History of the Trap: September Rains Part 9


9

Meet me at 10.  I want to see you.
That is what she whispered to me.  That, and the kiss, is what had me on fire, a passionate hope rekindled.
She also whispered where to meet her.  And that is where I headed that morning.  In fact, I left early.  I had not seen her at breakfast, but she and the Morgan crew could have been there earlier. 
I was supposed to be at the TV Studio, but I begged off, asking for an additional hour, before showing up for morning planning.  Another Lookout Variety Hour of Power was scheduled for the next night, and I needed to bring in my preliminary sketch of the next episode of The Sands of Loren.  I never knew trying to write a soap opera that was only ten minutes an episode twice a week would be such a burden.  At least I had prepared an outline the day before.  I was still a slow typist, and I had missed the times when Lisa would help me type copy, but I was hopeful that would change, as it appeared we might be growing closer again.
That certainly was just an incidental part of being close to her, though.  It was nice to have that help, but mostly because it drew us together.  I loved her company and her smell, the touch of her fine blond hair, the smoothness of her skin, the hazel brown dreaminess of her eyes slightly magnified by her thick glasses.  I loved having someone to talk to who was intellectually compatible.  Who am I kidding?  She was way smarter than me, but I loved it.
I made my way to our rendezvous spot.  I was fifteen minutes early and she wasn't there yet.  I didn't really expect her to be, but that was okay.  I wanted to prepare myself for her arrival.  I wanted to be there first.  I had some flowers that I had, well, surreptitiously acquired; some daffodils and other tulips.  I arranged them as best I could, hoping that she would not notice my lack of skill.  I pictured her coming around the corner, seeing the flowers, and then falling into my arms.
I heard noises from the band room, some melody being rehearsed for a future concert.  Their practice began at 9:30 and would end at 11 AM, so there was no chance they would come out to interrupt us.  And Mr. Black's office was no longer a den of black market booze.  The final group to use the area, the Drama Club putting on Charley's Aunt, did not have rehearsal until later in the afternoon.
So there I was, waiting for my beautiful friend, Lisa Carlton, standing in the covey alcove, the same one where we first observed Mr. Black and his partners in contraband, David Izzner and Jack Kessler, discussing their black market enterprises.  I don't know if it was the first place I would have chosen (I wish we could get in my Dad's office, but that wasn't possible, certainly not at this time of morning), but it was a place where we kissed, even it was ostensibly for cover.
It grew to be 10:00, and she had not arrived.  Fifteen minutes later, I was growing anxious.  I did not know whether to keep waiting, or look for her, or just give up.
Knowing that it wasn't in use, maybe I had misunderstood.  Maybe she meant the actual auditorium.  I had decided not to be in the play, occupied as I was with the soap and other TV studio activities, and had not really been in the auditorium since Jack Kessler had assaulted me, only for him to wind up falling and busting his head open during the tremors from the tunnel explosion.
I cracked open the main auditorium door.  It was very dark, but I could see the outline of the set for Charley's Aunt, flats up to suggest a Victorian house, and a dining room table with ornate chairs.  I could see that someone was seated at the table, but I couldn't make out who they were.
"Lisa?" I called out, thinking she might be the one on the set.  I flicked on a light near the door, and it lit up the auditorium enough to see that it was Lisa at the table.  "Lisa!  What are you doing in here?  I didn't see you come in.  I almost missed you."
She didn't move or respond.  "Are you feeling ok?  Is everything...."  And then I noticed that her head was lolled back at an awkward angle.  I rushed in closer, jumping onto the stage.  There was something sticky on the floor.
Lisa, my Lisa.  My beautiful, bright, intelligent friend.  My first true girlfriend.  My lover.  Her throat had been cut.  The sticky stuff was her blood.
I touched her gently, but that was all it took to send her sliding out of the chair, and her body slamming onto the stage floor.
I was crushed with grief, but my first reaction was anger.  "No!" I screamed.  "This can't be!"  I looked skyward and shook my fist.  "Enough!"


I'm sorry, Doctor Duncan.  I need to take another break.

No comments:

Post a Comment