Saturday, August 2, 2014

2014 August Speculatron Saturday Political Soap Box 89

Congress is fleeing!

They're all going on vacation for a MONTH!!!

Of course, we won't hear anything about that.  What we'll hear about is if that darn Obama takes a day or two off/  God forbid the man who really can't ever get away spends a little time in Hawaii or somewhere with his family.

Anyways, it's not like Congress was really doing anything.  They sued the President because he took the same kind of executive action every President has taken, and then when they failed to do anything on the border crisis, they said it was up to the President to man up and take some executive action.  I guess so they could sue him a second time.

So.....it's Speculatron time, where I attempt to divine the undivinable future!

Hey!  What about those midterms?


House of Representatives 

Republicans and their Supreme Court friends are doing everything wrong.  They are alienating women, Hispanics, African Americans, anyone who thinks science is real.  They're opposing many things that most polls show Americans want, like gun background checks, increased minimum wage, infrastructure improvements, and no boots on the ground in conflicts.  The economy is improving, with the best sustained job growth since the 90s, with a greatly improving GDP and a solid stock market. People are even moving in the direction of tolerance on issues such as LGBT rights and gay marriage.  So......the Democratic Party has this in the bag, right?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh........probably not.

First, too many voters inclined towards the Democrats sit on their hands during the midterms.  This time, they have every reason to turn out in droves, but they probably won't.  A tragic fact of life I hope changes someday, but count me skeptical until it does.

Second, congressional districts are so heavily gerrymandered that even the worst extremists and morons can win their districts if the have the right party label.  If we elect jackasses who wear it as a badge of honor that they don't compromise, we shouldn't be startled when nothing happens in Washington.

I predict, at best,  a small shift towards the Democrats, of 3 to 5 seats, and at worst, a gain of the same amount to the Republicans.  This will not be enough to keep the House out of the hands of the lunatics.  There is a strong possibility that someone will take the Speakership from John Boehner.  I'm not sure who, because all those yahoos blend together in my mind.

Senate

The Senate is the mystery chair on this deck of fools.  It will be close, as the states that are most in play are primarily red states.  The result will be control by one party or the other by just one or two seats.  I pray that it will be the Democrats.  I fear that it will be the Republicans.

That means there will be the potential for a lot of stuff and nonsense to dominate.  The bills that pass the House Lunatic Asylum will get votes in the Senate.  They may waste boucoups of time trying to impeach the most unimpeachable President we've ever had.  We'll spend two years without President Obama being able to confirm a single person.

There is a possibility that, at some point, they stop focusing on the President, and instead spend their time trying to demonize Hilary Clinton.  That's right.  Benghazi 24/7.  Jobs, climate change, immigration, anything else that actually improve the lives of Americans?  Eh, not so much.

Georgia

I keep reading that Georgia is ripe for a progressive revolution.  Oh, how I wish that were true, but from where I live, I don't see that anytime soon.  People here would elect a white collar criminal over a man who was both a preacher and a decorated veteran,  Educators and state workers will vote for people who will vote for people who fully intend to ELIMINATE their jobs before they'll vote for even a conservative Democrat.

I think Jason Carter has an outside shot at being the next Governor, as I think many have come to understand that Nathan Deal is a corrupt piece of flotsam.  Michelle Nunn has a tough row against her opponent, and I am hopeful but skeptical,  The rest is as about as competitive as Soviet Russia.  I can almost halfway understand why some people even get discouraged voting.

2016 Presidential


Things are about the same.  I do think Senator Rand Paul has moved more into prominence.  He is creating positions that is bridging some gaps on some issues (drug law reform, NSA, foreign intervention) , but much of his stuff is still libertarian nonsense.  I'm not sure mainstream Republicans, particularly the more militarily inclined, will let him take things over.  I am surprised that there is still affection in some circles for Governor Chris Christie - I guess political vindictiveness to the point of endanger lives still plays with some Republicans.  I think the mainstream will most likely be represented by Jeb Bush.  We'll see.

The Democratic nomination belongs to Hilary Clinton, if she decides she wants it.  I personally am not 100% convinced she will run.  We'll see.  Id she does, I pray she shores up her support with progressives, because we really don't need a Corporate Democrat as much as a true progressive.

I love Senator Elizabeth Warren.  My heart is with her running.  My brain says it might not work out.  Sigh.

I am a huge fan of Vice President Joe Biden.  I think, honestly, he might  be the most capable person on the planet to be President.  But, Hilary is also more than capable, and it's time.  It's way past time for a female President.

Here's my concern with the Democratic contenders - in 2016 Hilary Clinton will be 69, Joe Biden 73, Elizabeth Warren 67, and another of my favorites, Bernie Sanders will be 75.  On the Republican side - Rand Paul will be 53, Chris Christie 54, Paul Ryan ONLY 46, and the elder statesman Jeb Bush 63 (which still puts him younger than the other Democratic contenders).

Now, I'm nor ageist.  Ronald Reagan was not a bad President because he started at 69.  He was a bad President, because, well, his positions were terrible and started America on its decline.  Everyone ages different and some people stay vibrant even into their 90s.  Look at Stan Lee, Betty White, even Nelson Mandela.  I'm just concerned for the health of a party when ALL its top leadership is past 65.

C'mon, Democrats!  We need some fresh leadership!

Post haste!













No comments:

Post a Comment