Monday, October 26, 2015

Battery Mattery and other Monday Musings



This was a Wild weekend,  Well, only in the sense that Alison and I watched the movie Wild on Saturday.  It was a pretty good movie, as the character that Reese Witherspoon played went on a thousand mile plus hike, on the Trans Pacific Trial, in an attempt to rediscover and rebalance herself,.  There was a man vs. Nature theme, as there was in The Martian, but it was also much more than that.  There were plenty of flashbacks, and she met others along the trail, some dangerous but many that were helpful.  All in all, it was an interesting and satisfying movie to watch.

------------------------------------------------

Thursday night my car battery died after attending Vestry meeting,  A fellow vestry member, Wayne, was kind enough to help me jump the Honda off.  We took it by Advance Auto Parts on Saturday to see if the battery needed to be replaced, and the guy who tested it said stuff I didn't really understand.  I'm going to take it to the car dealership today and hope it's not the alternator.  We just had to replace the alternator on the Toyota the week before, and I can see my retirement fading further and further away.

--------------------------------------------------

My love/hate affair with football continues.  The college teams I support, Michigan and Georgia, did not play, so I got an extra week to recover from the devastating heartbreak of the Michigan/MSU game.  The Atlanta Falcons could hardly score, but their opponent had more trouble, and they managed to win 10 to 7.  The Lions were crushed by the Vikings, so their woes continue.

--------------------------------------------------

He's not as innately dangerous as Donald Trump, nor as big a lying incompetent as Carly Fiorina, but I'm still puzzled by the number of people willing to support someone as clearly insane as Ben Carson.  He's not evil crazy, or sinister crazy, but he's just putting things together in such a wrong way - you wonder how his mind is really working.  The quiet calm way he speaks does not suggest common sense and reason to me, but just somebody who is not getting it, and it is satisfied with meaningless, sometimes contradictory answers,

This whole attraction to what the ill informed are calling "nonpoliticians"  is a disturbing phenomenon, and one deserving of a blog post dedicated to nothing but that.  Yes, of course.  If I want a brain surgeon, I want the guy who doesn't have a doctor's degree, is untrained in brain surgery, but everything is going to be swell because they've developed some wonderful theories based on some videos they saw on the Internet.

There are more paths to being a good President than someone who has only been a career politician. But whatever those alternate paths are?  Trust me - Trump, Carson and Fiorina did not take them.


--------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Republican Benghazi committee, for doing the most anyone has ever done in helping to elect Hillary Clinton as our nation's first woman President.  Yes, politics and momentum can change.  But right now, that is the inevitable conclusion of the worst "McCarthy-style" hearing I have ever seen.

--------------------------------------------------------


Yes, I tried to forward my efforts to get my novels published,  Agents, a direct submission, and a contest.  I know.  I should be doing more.  I find I do not suffer from Writer's Block, but I do suffer from Promotion Block.  I have a hard time promoting myself.  I just want to be like Snoopy in the Peanuts cartoon...didn't you understand?  - you're just supposed to publish my book and send me money?  Why is it so hard to get them to understand this???

Until next time,

T. M. Strait




No comments:

Post a Comment