Friday, October 9, 2015

I Like Politics: Saturday Political Soap Box 113

I like politics.

I know that isn't a very PC thing to say right now.  Most of the people that I know only seem enamored with the opposite.  It is very culturally correct to say how much you hate politics and everything political.

But I don't.  I'm sorry, but it's true.

It is true that I don't like all politicians.  It's true that I have great objections to many of the ways our system operates.  There is much heartache in the decisions politicians make.  There is much disgust and revulsion in the power that the special interests and the wealthy hold over our body politic.  And there is almost constant disappointment in the inattentiveness and disinterest of the American voter.

So you say you hate politics?

Well, you've picked a bad country to have those feelings in.  We've chosen a form of government that only works effectively when people become fully informed and are willing to participate.  It's okay, and in fact necessary, to hate the way things are going.  It's not okay to give up.  It's not okay to stop paying attention.

You say you're tired of career politicians who serve unlimited terms?  Well, you have the power to do something about it.  STOP VOTING FOR THEM AND VOTE FOR A CHALLENGER.  You don't need a law....you already have that power to do something about it.  STOP ME BEFORE I VOTE FOR THE INCUMBENT AGAIN makes for a pitiful campaign slogan.

Politics is not a dirty word.  Everything is politics.  It's impossible to get away from.  In a democracy (and yes, I know - we are slipping away from even resemblance to a democracy in this country), even deciding not to vote is a political decision that has political consequences.

I can hate food.  But I still have to eat.  You can hate politics, but you still have to participate.  Unless you are willing to completely surrender to an authoritarian government.  I know I'm not.

Another contrarian guidepost I'm going to give you is - stop for voting for the man (or woman).  No, that does not mean you should disregard character, nor should you be beholden to any particular political party. You need to decide what issues or issues are most important to you.  Research them, figure out for yourself what are the best solutions or ways to achieve what is important to you.  And then don't be blinded by personality or party in how best to achieve those goals.

I am a progressive, for the most part, but like any individual, I have a mix of views.  For a long time, the most important issue to me was health care, and  my firm belief that every one should have access to the health care system, that families should not be bankrupted or shut out in their pursuit of decent health care for their loved ones.  I always voted for the candidate that I thought would move us closer to that goal.

Although I still feel health care is important, and that the Affordable Health Care was only the beginning of where we need to get to, today I have a new number one issue.  It is something that if we don't organize to take care of right away, nothing else will matter.  And that issue is global warming.  If you want me to vote for your candidate, you must convince me that he/she is going to do the most to save us from the environmental destruction we have created for ourselves.  I realize that it may already be too late to stop, that the best we can hope for is to mitigate and slow it.  But I can't give up.  I can't turn to my children and future grandchildren and tell them I did nothing while the world burned.

But for you, other issues may be more important.  Whatever they are, become informed and vote accordingly.

Yes, there are many problems and reasons to hate politics.  There is too much money in the system, in funding campaigns and in lobbying.  There are too many noncompetitive, gerrymandered districts.  The Congress is ugly and dysfunctional.  Some have problems with other branches of government (and if you don't know what those branches are - well, I think we've identified part of our problem right there).  If any of these are important enough to you - make them the issue you vote on.

But don't stop there.  Getting informed and voting is only part of the battle.  GET INVOLVED.  Join groups that support what you do, engage in the civic conversation, become part of movements that seek to make this a better country.

So you don't have to be like me.  You don't have to like politics.  But there is something you can't do - you can't drop out.  You can't quit.

Our fragile, increasingly imperiled democracy is depending on you.







No comments:

Post a Comment