Wednesday, November 11, 2015

2015 OHC Writing Awards: The Warning by Alexandra Cochon

The following is our Student 3rd place poetry winner .


The Warning
by Alexandra Cochon

As I lay in bed,
I fall into a deep sleep.

I wake with a start,
Greeted by a blob of green.
The green glob motions to me,
Beckoning me to my window.
Moonlight breaks through my curtains,
Creating rainbows among my glass figurines.

Pulling the curtain aside,
I peered around the oblivious blob,
Audibly gasping at the scene before me.

Fields of woe,
Row upon row of lifelessness,
Protrudes beyond the horizon.

Turning to the blob,
It began to speak,
A scratchy and deep voice,
Barely understandable.

IF YOU HUMANS CONTINUE YOUR WAYS,
THIS WILL BE THE RESULT.

The blob gestures to the window.

He sadly shook his head,
Saying:
THIS IS MY WARNING TO YOU.

The blob vanished upon finishing his sentence.
A piece of paper taking his place,
That read:
DO SOMETHING BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

As mysterious as it was,
I was still very exhausted.
Placing the piece of paper on my nightstand,
I climbed into bed,
And fell into a restless sleep.

I felt myself tumble and turn,
Much like I was in a time machine.

As tireD as I was,
I found myself awake,
Curious to see what else might take place.

I looked out the window,
And saw fields of green.
I know, now, that it must've been a dream.

I ventured to my bed, once again,
Eager for some sleep.

I stopped by my nightstand,
And picked up a piece of paper,
That read:
DO SOMETHING BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.


No comments:

Post a Comment