Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Lake Under Intermittent Moonlight

Tonight the moon recedes
Behind a roiling temple of clouds
Tonight my soul concedes
To a kindredship now in shrouds

I take the path untrammelled
By a lake without reflection
I take the water's edge unlappelled
Consumed by your rejection

The water ripples not
There is no sound of life
Everything seems broken; forgot?
Only I feel the strife

You stand oblivious somewhere else
In the arms of a Marquised hero
You look up at this shining Welsh
While I dwell in the wilderness of zero

Tonight the water beckons me
Its cold rush starts to freeze my knee
Tonight I accept what I see
A black horizon devoid of thee

Do I back out of the quickening depths?
Or do I charge on into the emptiness?
Do I run through the forest breadths?
Or embrace an end to my fearsome loneliness?

No!  You are not the end to everything!
There must be life beyond the pain of your shifted allegiance
No!  I will not endure your wicked sting!
I will be stronger than your shallow malfeasance

But as I leave I hear the water ripple
Something torrential is waving towards me
Returning moonlight makes it stipple
A shuddering force leaps out of sea

It grabs me
Down into the dark drink
It pulls me
Into the abyss I sink

It's too late
I will not be free
It's my fate
You have ended me















No comments:

Post a Comment