Thursday, April 21, 2016

Alternate Realities

1

God Bless the United States of America
And the sixty-three states that make it stand
From Sonora to Albertia
Arctic freeze to desert sand

2

I would come to where you are
Cross the melted terrain
Except the radioactive scar
From the Cuban missile's reign

3

I miss the Presidents Kennedy
Bobby most of all
They brought me a hopeful serenity
Until the Nixonian Fall

4

All the beautiful championships!
The Tigers have caught the World Series by the tail!
10 years in a row without a slip!
Always on top of the baseball world and nary a fail!

5

I don't have my papers in an ordered row
O Please don't take me!
I won't take my star off again; it will always show
I promise it will be where the SS can see

6

Wasn't I smart?  Wasn't I fine?
I bet it all on Microsoft in 1981
Now I'm sitting on a gold mine
Just ascend Strait Tower to Penthouse One

7

It's a Christomerican Dominionist nightmare
Unless you're of them and until you're out
You're in - at least until they decide to pare
From the inner circle's blessed clout

8

I was born way down South in the land of cotton
Where attachment to the USA has been long forgotten
Don't Look Away!  Don't Look Away!
God Bless the CSA!

9

Huzzah!  Huzzah! Are you ready for Season 10!
America's most enduringly popular show- 
I'll sure as heck be seated when
Fox has Captain Malcolm Reynolds and Firefly in tow!

10

All praise that global warming is only a minor nuisance
Thanks so much to the efforts of President Gore
Alternate fuel development has reduced our carbonated footprance
And prevented Atlanta from being our new shore

11

President Carter made it a top priority in his second term
Spending on the NIH like we were trying to make it the moon
He knew that the curse of cancer was a major concern
And it led to a victory that happened so gratefully soon

12

We planted the American flag on Mars in 1986
Just like My Weekly Reader promised me
It took amazing science and imagination; a clever mix
That took the age of greed into the age of we

13

The war on drugs resulted in a surrender
We didn't need our prisons filled with potheads
Better spend on a student than a prisoner
Better a prison with empty beds

14

The moment brought tears to my eyes
President Sanders signing Medicare For All
He fought off all the right wing lies
And finally brought universal healthcare to us all

15

Alternate realities crash constantly in my brain
Every time I wake up, I wonder if I'm somewhere else
As if this morning I've boarded a different train
Hurtling towards a reality previously never felts










No comments:

Post a Comment