Monday, April 25, 2016

Back to the Grindstone Monday Musings

Well, it was great to have my Fridays back!  And, as an extra bonus, I had Thursday off as well.  Woohoo!

But now it's Monday again, and time to get into the routine for the rest of the year.  There is plenty to do, including catching up with regular work, quarterly payroll reports, and non-profit tax returns (yes, they still file a return, called a 990, even if they don't remit income taxes).  If anybody's worried about me having enough work, they can relax.  I got plenty.

I accomplished nowhere near what I wanted, but maybe this extended weekend wasn't about achieving things, but in unplugging from the stress.  If so, then the past four days have been pretty successful.  I have enjoyed my time at home, with my biggest trip all weekend being to church on Sunday.

--------------------------------------------


We did adopt out our foster of the last five months, J. D. (John Deere).  The Shelter Manager offered to take J.D. on transport to a shelter in New Jersey that is no-kill and has a high adoption rate.  Before that could happen, J.D. was named Pet of the Week and put in the local papers.  We decided not to send him on transport and see whether he could be adopted closer by.  Well, he was adopted, REALLY close by,  just a few houses down and a street away, by a wonderful lady who loves little dogs and has the perfect setup to cherish and take care of them.  Alison is close enough to walk by where J. D. is, and do so virtually every day.

How long before we have a new foster?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was by the next Monday Musing!

-------------------------------

The stress of tax season became so great that I stopped weighing myself.  I didn't need another excuse to get down on myself.  But this morning it was time to get back on the wagon.  I was stunned by my weight - I was very close to where I was when I left off, and about the best Monday morning weight I've had in years. I have no explanation for it.  I always thought when you stress eat your weight went up.  Oh, well.  My blood pressure is still too high, so I need to get back in and saddle up again.

---------------------------

There will be a book signing at the OHC this Thursday!

And I still have no book for people to sign.  I have two completed novels, and am still frozen in indecision as to what to do with them.

Nevertheless, I will be there, helping with a table that the OHC Writer's Guild will have.  I will try to post more details soon about it.  If you're in the area, you'll want to check out what all the local authors have been up to.

------------------------------------

Detroit sports toasted this last week.  Both the Pistons and the Red Wings ended their brief playoff runs, I think winning one game between the two of them.  The Tigers faded, but it is still a long season, so my hopes remain.

My two older boys are into MLS (Major League Soccer), and attended a game in LA, watching the LA Galaxy.  It's interesting, but I don't really have a favorite team to watch.  I may adopt Portland - it sounds like a great town, and has Powell Bookstore, one of the best bookstores in the country.  I may have been to Portland, but if so, I was only four or five at the time.  I think I am due a visit.


---------------------------------

Game of Thrones started back last night!  Still an awesome show, and now plunging ahead of the books.  So sorry you couldn't keep up, George R. R. Martin.  Yes, you are the author and have a right to go at your own pace - but dang!  As a fan, I WANT MORE NOW!  Sigh.  Maybe someday someone will feel that way about History of the Trap and/or Crowley Stories.  That would be cool, but y'all better be buying it in sufficient enough numbers to allow me to be a full-time writer.

Of course, it would probably help if I ACTUALLY publish them.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait














No comments:

Post a Comment