Monday, November 14, 2016

Fall Descends Monday Musings



Fall descends in Southeast Georgia.  Is it as pretty as this picture?  Hardly.  Our signal for Fall is simply that we occasionally have days where the high is below 80.

-------------------------------

We attended two funerals this weekend, both at Grace Episcopal Church.  One was for friend, Anita Lynn, who lost her son.  The death was sudden and unexpected, and we send all our love and support to Anita.  She is a very charming and loving lady, and her and her late husband were in large part responsible for us deciding to become Episcopalians.

The other was John Pharr, a friend and fellow parishioner of Grace.  He was always friendly and supportive of Alison, Benjamin and myself.  He and his wife, Carolyn, live in a log cabin home that was originally built and lived in by Alison's parents. He was a bike enthusiast, and we would often see him bicycling in the neighborhood.  He had worked for the hospital, and in retirement was a great supporter of hospice,  He developed a swift-moving cancer, and was gone within months of diagnosis.

---------------------------------------------

It was not a good weekend for Football, other than the Georgia Bulldogs.  Michigan lost a narrow game to Iowas, and unlike SEC teams, all it takes is one loss to be eliminated from the college playoffs.  The Atlanta Falcons also lost, and it greatly diminishes their chances for postseason play.

The Lions, thankfully, had this weekend off.


---------------------------------------------

Some, I'm sure, would prefer that I quit talking about it, or accept it, or maybe even join the ranks of the TrumpReich.  I'm sorry.  I'll never join, and I will always resist it.  I'll continue to post my challenging memes on Facebook, and more importantly, I will continue to speak out in my column that runs in Georgia newspapers.

When I think about pulling back, I remember Anne Frank.  I remember Schindler.  Silence is not a way to combat the dark forces. Silence is surrender.

Trumpeteers - you know not what you have done.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait











No comments:

Post a Comment