Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Soup Done Be Good Food

This is NOT a picture of the tomato soup we had last night; it's "stock" footage.  I would have taken a picture of ours but I was in too much of a hurry to eat it.


Soup is good food.

I like soup a lot.

At our house, soup is homemade.  We use natural and organic ingredients,  There is no artificial anything.  

There is also significantly less sodium.  This could be important as I have high blood pressure problems.  Some doctors say it is a bad thing, others not so much.  I like to be on the safe side and moderate as much as I can.

We had Tomato Basil Soup last night, with a grilled cheese sandwich.  I love cheese, so you can be sure it was well represented.  The grilled cheese sandwich had sharp cheddar, Colby jack, and a local cheese, Thomasville Tomme, purchased from Dirt Road Organics,  The soup had Parmesan and mozzarella melted into it.  I told yo - I love cheese.

We have many makeshift soups, all homemade, using a mix of vegetables, some meats, and either vegetable or chicken stock.  These often do not follow recipes, but are a blending of what we have available.  This, to me, is the true meaning of soup.  I think it's the way it was done before we became so reliant on processed foods.

Alison is our Soup Guru, and I am very grateful for the time she spends on them.  Benjamin and I help when we can, but it is her cooking mastery that makes them so special,  She often uses a crock pot, so it can prepare while we are at work or school.  After it is prepared, we don't eat it for a day, letting the favors blend.

In our go-go world, it is hard to take the time to do things right.  But we have found it worth the effort, and have discovered Soup Night as the most special meal night of the week.

Soup is good food, but homemade soup is great food.

Make a potful this week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment