Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Jumbled Thoughts at Republic's End

I have to warn you.  I've had little sleep and my mind is a mess.  This will certainly never be coherent enough to be turned into a newspaper column.

But here it is.

I don't want to go to work.  I can't face those people.  They either voted for the foul-mouthed orange clown, or they stood in neutral.  Right now, I can't forget or forgive what they did.  Maybe with more sleep and over time, I can find a way to get along, but today ain't that day.

What have you done?  Every bit of progress we have made over the last eight years has disintegrated in an instant.  Millions will be uninsured and trust me, there is no "great plan, terrific plan" waiting in the wings. His economic plans  will collapse the economy and bankrupt us.  Millions of our fellow citizens will have  to leave in fear as he deports millions and persecutes others on the basis of religion.  And what do we say to our daughters, our mothers, our wives, that we "excused" this grotesque sexual predator?

Trump voter have made a mistake that they will regret the rest of their lies.  He is not on your side.  He is a charlatan, a carnival barker, a failed businessman, a thin-skinned bully, and authoritarian fascist.  And you have given this raging toddler the nuclear codes?  What were you thinking?

My son, Benjamin, will come of draft age under this tyrant.  God only knows what that will mean.

And now you'll definitely get to see whether or not climate change is real.  Are we going to stop it? Hell, no.  Are we going to slow it?  Absolutely not.  Are we going to accelerate it by doubling down on dirty fossil fuels?  Ding Ding Ding!

The biggest absurdity is the idea that he is "the Christian candidate".  what a joke!  What a farce!  Has there ever been a person farther removed from Christianity than Donald Trump?  I think that whole concept is the thing that offends the most.

I just had to tell my son, my precious son, the one who convinced us to support Barack Obama in 2008, that the next President was going to  be Trump.  The look of shock and hurt on his face has left me shaken to the core.

We also lost a good friend and fellow church member last night, John Pharr.  Our church family is saddened, and we will be there for Carolyn and their family.

It is a dark time.  A very dark time.  And soon, I will figure out a way to move forward.

 But not today.

Today I grieve,

4 comments:

  1. A big hug to you, Tom. You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Progressive Revolution begins now. I just don't know how much suffering we will all have to go through before getting there.

      Delete