Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Whittled Work Week Wednesday Wanderings

All in all, I'd rather be writing.


Today begins a return to work.  It's a short week, but it's difficult to face nonetheless.  I was quickly spoiled by my time off, both the trip to see Doug in Atlanta, and just being home with the family.  It's hard to gear back up and get in accounting mode.  The break just makes me realize how much I'd rather not go back.  

------------------------------

One of the reasons is going to prison on Friday.  I'd rather not do that.  It's not an assignment I enjoy. And it's on a Friday, a day I normally don't work.  At year end, we get the assignment to audit the inventory of a prison commissary.  I sometimes pretend I'm really going to prison, but that stage of my social media career is done.  I just want to get it over with this year,

------------------------------
Another reason is the impending tax season looms.  It starts early and hard for me, due to the preparation of W-2s and 1099s.  As I gradually move towards reducing my accounting career and spending more times at other  things, I really haven't figured out how to reduce the burden of this season.  At the same time, the idea of returning to the submarine and not resurfacing until April 17th is completely unappealing.  I have to fantasize that I can achieve a better balance, even if I fall short of accomplishing it. 

------------------------------------

Benjamin and I will not be involved in the musical at WACT this year.  Benjamin ultimately decided against participation, and I had no desire to do it without him.  He has a musical at his school he will be doing.

------------------------------------

I may be participating in God's Trombones, a series of sermons delivered by African-American preachers,  and to include original music by local composer Willie Character.  My role, if any, would be limited, as the sermons are best delivered by African-American speakers.  It is a noble endeavor, and will be a highlight of Black History month in February.  Bravo to Purlie Productions for sponsoring it.

------------------------------

We saw Star Wars: Rogue One on Friday afternoon.  It was great movie, more in spirit with the original than most of the subsequent sequels.  The great shock was, coming out of the theater and checking the news, to see that Carrie Fisher had had a heart attack.  I hoped that she would recover, but sadly, she did not.

---------------------------

There are two more college football games, and then, as far as I'm concerned, the season is done.  I'll see the Georgia and Michigan bowl games, and then I'll wash my hand of the college season.  I have no interest in the college playoff.  

--------------------------------

Professional football may be a little longer.  The Atlanta Falcons seem to be getting stronger as the playoffs approach, while the Detroit Lions are suddenly losing steam.  I am really tired of hearing fans of other teams talk about how long its been since their team has been in the Super Bowl, hen the Lions have NEVER BEEN.  Get in line.

--------------------------


Wanderingly yours,

T. M. Strait










No comments:

Post a Comment