Saturday, April 21, 2018

A Great Lady Passes to Another Realm


I was not really expecting to be moved by her passing.  Anyone who reads my blog will know I am not fond of the politics of the Bush family.  Her husband was one of the best Republican leaders of my lifetime, ranking just below President Eisenhower.  He showed great courage in compromising on taxes when we needed it, and formed the international coalition that successfully accomplished the Gulf War and knew when to stop before exceeding the mandate of the mission.

Her son was less successful.  It took us a very long time to recover from the economic collapse that occurred in large part because of his policies,  We were lied into a war that served no purpose but to accelerate the destabilization of the Middle East.  Climate change was ignored to a point that it is no longer a possibility to stop it, only mitigate it.

But for all their flaws, both still were caring men, and those who knew them appreciated them and were loyal in following them.  Both operated with love of country, with faith, and with family values at their core.  They considered the opinion and importance of others.  And those strengths came from Barbara Bush.

She was a great champion of literacy.  She always centered her values on appreciation and protection of family.  She was not a perfect person, but she would be the first person to tell you that.  She was honest and sometimes blunt.  She did not put on airs of superiority, or much worry about her place in history. 

When son Jeb Bush made noises about running for President, she was not in favor and made her feelings known.  She knew the toll that could take on a family and she wasn't ready to plunge them back into that again.  But when Jeb announced, she put that aside and was all in, supportive and actively campaigning.


Barbara and George were married an incredible 73 years.  No marriage is a constant state of bliss, but they came fairly close.  Whatever ups and downs they had, they weathered through like champs.  There was a love and appreciation that you could see in all their pictures together, in all their gestures and non-verbals.  It's not something you always see in a Presidential Couple.

In all the news of her passing, the thing that struck me most was a commencement speech she gave at a university, a place where some students had raised objections to her even speaking.  But she won the crowd over with her down to earth observances.  Watching her say this is what struck me the most -

"At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal.  You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent."

As I grow older, the truth of these words sings out to me.  The ambitions of youth and career seem less and less important to me, and it is the moments with family I treasure the most.  I clutch to the memory of my departed parents and am grateful for the times I had with them, and wish I could have more.  I cherish my own family and value my time with them.  The adventure of watching and participating with Benjamin growing up is more important than any theatrical part or writing award.  I miss my two older boys, off living their own lives.  Her quote is reviving my desire to do what I can to remain in touch with them and let them know how much I care for them.

Fame is fleeting.  Success can be illusory.  It is family and friends, caring for each other, cherishing the moments that we have, that are the important thing.

God bless you, Barbara Bush.  God bless you and the fine family you raised.  God bless the positive influence you had on us all.




No comments:

Post a Comment