Monday, April 2, 2018

Retro Monday Musings


Benjamin Strait is ready for the 80s!

Or so he thinks.  It's mostly a hodgepodge of cultural references.  Which the movie Ready Player One will feature.  Which we haven't seen yet.  Which we hope to see soon.

Benjamin has the extra bonus pleasure of having actually read the book.  Can you say the same?




Benjamin Strait and Reverend Kit Brinson stand on Easter Sunday, with the Flower Man.  Well, it's actually a cross covered with flowers.

Alison's favorite service is the Holy Saturday Easter Vigil, that starts in the dark, with parish members holding candles, and ends with the lights turned on, and the church decorated in celebration.  My least favorite service is Maundy Thursday, which has foot-washing as an element in it.  Not many Episcopal services are a challenge to introverts, but that one sure is.

We have services throughout Holy Week, and we attend them, particularly from Thursday on.  It's one of the rare times when we out-church the many Christian right churches in our area.

---------------------------------------------

I am happy to report that the Michigan Wolverines will be playing the Villanova Wildcats for the NCAA College Basketball Championships!  My favored teams don't get to pull for the brass ring very often, so I am looking forward to tonight's game.

Our work pool is now down to me and Kelsey Jones who picked Villanova  It's her first time in the contest, but I don't feel any sympathy for her.  Nor did I Loyala-Chicago.  They did well, but at the stroke of Michigan, it was time for Cinderella to leave the ball.

---------------------------------------------

There was some controversy about an event here on Sunday.  The Waycross Exchange Club, whom I guess has something to do with the fairgrounds, sponsored some sort of car event to take place on Easter Sunday.  They were upset when a rapper group got attached to the concert, and couldn't get out of the contract.

Rap is a form of music, not any better or worse than any other form.  There are Christian rappers, country rappers, even the musical Hamilton has rap.  Of course, in all forms of music there are lyrics and such that can be found offensive.  I have no idea how offensive the artist is that is featured in the concert, Lil Boosie.

But to me, it loses sight of the central point -  what was the Waycross Exchange Club doing scheduling an event on Easter Sunday?  Whether it was a car show or a rapper, I'm surprised they did that.  Yes, the Exchange Club is probably a civic group rather than religious, but often in this area there is very little separation between the two.  I guess greed won out over religiosity.  Oh, well.

---------------------------------------------

Speaking of religiosity, we passed the movie marquee of the Waycross Mall Cinema, and I was stunned to find out that God's Not Dead was playing YET AGAIN at the bijou!  Turned out, though, it was not the original but a SECOND SEQUEL to the original.  Something about crazed liberal university students burning down a church.  Yeah.  Nothing rabble-rousing about that theme.

-------------------------------

Well, I head into another week of tax season.  And Alison and Benjamin are on Spring Break.  I tried to retire.  I tried to get out.  But my success has been somewhat limited.

Back to the drawing board.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait











2 comments:

  1. I love the Easter Vigil too! Great post! Benjamin is a very handsome young man... a younger Tom Strait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benjamin is fantastic! A great actor, an excellent student, a good artist, a consummate Dungeons & Dragon player, a dedicated Christian, a kind and generous young man. I am very proud of him!

    ReplyDelete