Sunday, June 7, 2020

Apple Crisp: Recipe From the Strait Family Vaults 2



A Recipe from the Strait Family Vaults

Apple Crisp
There are many recipes to make Apple Crisp.  This is the one my mother used.  It puts the emphasis on crisp over apples.  To me, this is as God intended.  As cake is a frosting delivery system, so is this desert to crisp.
I don’t think we’ve ever prepared this for a church luncheon.  This probably claims to make a dozen or more serving, but the way we eat it, it is about six.  So, if we were to make it for church, we would probably have to quadruple the recipe.
It tastes best when served warm with vanilla ice cream.
I guess I better start with the recipe.

Ingredients:
4 cups sliced apples
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup water
3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
Place sliced apples onto buttered 10x6x2 baking dish (I think other sizes are okay – use your own judgment), sprinkling in the cinnamon, salt & water.  In a separate bowl, rub (? – that’s my mom’s word – just mix/blend/maybe knead) flour, sugar & butter – then drop this mixture over the apples.  Make noises like an airplane dropping bombs (okay, maybe that’s just me).
Bake at 350 degrees for forty minutes.

Feel free to adjust ingredients to personal taste.  Add more apples or more cinnamon or salt.  I wouldn’t add more sugar – this is already way past the diabetic threshold. Throw nuts in there, although I don’t know why people want to do that.  Walnuts seem to be a favorite addition for some, but I don’t digest walnuts well, and Benjamin is allergic.  So, at least for this recipe, we are a no nuts family.



1 comment: