Tuesday, June 9, 2020

My Kempcation: Keeping Your Distance 32


Thank you, Governor Kemp,

Even with some of the laxest COVID-19 quarantine rules on the planet, he still has listed that...people 65 and older should shelter in place through June 12th.

Well, I turn 65 today.

And what better way to celebrate than to finally listen to something Governor Kemp has to say.  So, I am sheltering in place for four glorious days, until the 12th.

Is this a punishment?  Not really.  I've organized things so that staying at home is easy.  And yes, I'm an introvert, so staying at home is actually something I'm looking forward to.

Is anyone else in my age group doing this?  Not that I can tell.  Many in this age group have been working and going out without missing a beat.  So, probably what I'm doing is looking pretty silly.

That's ok.  I don't mind looking silly.  Any followers of my acting career know that.

If work really needs me, I'll come in.  I can defy the Kempster if it's required.

One of the great joys of Michigan were snow days.  They were hard to come by.  There had to be A LOT of snow.  But it meant I could stay home.  And I could read, write, create...or mindlessly watch TV.  But I didn't have to go out and socialize and do schoolwork or other things I wasn't really interested in.

Maybe if I had been sheltering in place throughout the pandemic, my attitude would be different.  But I 've worked part-time (I'm semi-retired, so that's normal).  Alison has worked throughout and recently has resumed a full work schedule.  Even Benjamin started a job today!

It's been a surreal time to turn 65.  The most massive pandemic since 1918, the most significant economic decline since 1928, and the most intense civil unrest since 1968.  We have the trifecta of awfulness.

I must say, though, the protests of police brutality and the need for fundamental reform have been largely peaceful - more peaceful and much more massive and diversified than I ever thought possible.  The local demonstration here on Saturday, which I unfortunately missed, was very successful and peaceful.  It warmed my heart to know there were so many here who were willing to stand up for justice!  Super kudos go to Riley Brown, the young senior graduate who helped organize it.  Anybody who has dismissed our young generation as lazy or useless or immature need to seriously sit down and reevaluate.

Our young generation is the one bright spot that gives this senior citizen hope.

My biggest birthday wish?

Don't vote for Trump.  Please, I beg you, don't vote for Bunker Boy.

hey

Hey!

HEY!

It's my birthday!

















2 comments:

  1. Ha!! Love this post...Happy 65th Birthday! Yes, we have laid low for months. I feel our "Nasty Woman" from Michigan is one smart lady! I am proud of our Governor. Vote Biden! Is our family Motto! Stay Safe and enjoy your new chapter in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm probably too much of an introvert, and I really enjoy being home with my family. I pray that Trump will lose, and lose big. Trumperism needs to be swept away into the dustbin of history.

    ReplyDelete