Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Avengers Assemble! Joss Rules!


There are bad movies. There are good movies. There are great movies. And then there are earth-shatteringly awesome OMG I've been waiting for that all my life movies. Guess which category The Avengers fall in? 


The Avengers is the perfect storm movie that demonstrates what everything else has been leading up to.  All the advances of special effects, almost fifty years of comic stories, the individual movies leading up to it, the ideal actors found to portray these roles, everything the the amazing Joss Whedon did in his career bringing him to this extraordinary work.  I as a fan am exceptionally grateful.


The movie builds carefully, so that when the action sequences do occur, they are that much more awesome.  The dialogue often has the same bite and clever humor that Joss Whedon has demonstrated in past work such as Buffy and Firefly.


Every one has a different favorite character.  Alison is partial to Iron Man.  I really liked the performance of Captain America, and how he was used in the movie.  His basic decency, strength and leadership capabilities really shown through.  Even the secondary characters were quite pronounced.


I looked up on imdb the height of the different characters, and was interested to see that this was not a very tall cast, Thor being the tallest at 6'2 1/2".  The shortest male was Mark Ruffalo, the actor portraying the Hulk at 5'8", with Robert Downey, Jr. beating him by only half an inch.


Joss Whedon is a director/writer that I've been following for quite some time, and am overjoyed that he is getting this success.  The Avengers will probably sit somewhere in the top three box office draws of all time.  Hopefully, this will empower him to do some other things.  Maybe, just maybe, return to the world of Firefly.  Maybe a movie like Serenity will finally get the attention and box office it deserves.


Finally, i am begging you, if you enjoyed The Avengers, and you want to see more movies like it in the future, here is the most important thing that you can do - READ A COMIC BOOK!!!!  The comic book and graphic novel is the source for much of what you enjoy in the media today, but the monthly comic book is ironically a dying art form.  Help save it!  Read a comic book today!  Tell me your tastes and interests and I guarantee you I will have a comic in mind that you will like.


Avengers and Joss Whedon, I salute thee!























2 comments:

  1. I will probably see it when it is released in DVD. Not a huge fan of these movies But my wife loves them. I am a fan of Joss Whedon. I really liked Firefly and Serenity, I saw an interview with Nathan Filion who played the captain in this series. He said that even though he is currently in a hit series (Castle), He would drop it in a heartbeat tommorow to do Firefly again. As for Comic books, we read alot of them as kids, but most of my reading is done electronicaly today because of my middle aged eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have digital comics that I can put on the kindle or iphone. Now those are too small for me to read.

    ReplyDelete