Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Musical Misfires

I have very eclectic music tastes, that crosses many genres and eras.  This is a lot because, unlike many, I did not become particularly attached to the music of my youth, the music that was popular when I was in high school or college.  Listening to music from that time does not make me nostalgic for my youth.

One of the two big reasons for this was my mother and her lack of interest in music.  We didn't have a lot of music playing in the house.  It wasn't religious fervor on her part, or a hatred of modern culture.  She just liked to talk, and music might interfere with that.  We had radios in our room we would listen to sometimes.   We also had a Reader's Digest collection of 10 LPs, each having hit songs from a different decade of American music, which I would occasionally get to play.

The second big reason had to do with my peers.  Growing up, I was rebelling against them as much or more than my parents.  So I tended to be skeptical of any music they liked.

The third and final reason, is that it just didn't click with me.  I found the dominant forms of rock - country rock, mellow rock, jazz rock - to bland and uninteresting.  Three dog Night, Chicago, Lynyrd Skynrd, Allman Brothers, the Eagles (with the exception of Hotel California), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Creedance Clearwater Revival - all left me stone cold Steve Austin.

And now I find out that the largest influencer on the trend of music that I couldn't stand the most is...none other than Gram Parsons, someone who is greatly revered by the people in this area, and by many of the people that I love, respect and admire.  He grew up in Waycross, was even a member of my parish, Grace Episcopal.  From what I have been told, he was a very decent fellow.  I'd heard the name, but didn't realize until recently what a large impact he actually had.  I feel like a traitor to the area.

So I go back and listen to those songs I didn't like in my youth and see if I could perceive them differently now that I'm older and wiser.

Nahh, sorry.  Still can't stand them.

Nevertheless, I salute you, Gram Parsons.  You made an impact, changed the course of music history, and created a type of music beloved by many.  Even if I'm not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment