Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Why Don't You Run For Something?

Occasionally, I will get people who hear me talk, or see some of my writings, and they wonder why don't I run for something.  Many times it's people who agree with me, but other times it's somebody who see my passionate commitment and thinks I would be good at it even if they don't agree with me on everything.

I would love to do it.  I've been thinking about it since Junior High.  I used to run for things in school, and I did fairly well.  I even did a chart in Eighth grade that showed my goal of rising in office until I became President of the United States in 2000.  Right now, I would have had completed my first two terms and be a United Nations Ambassador.

These great plans were not completely secret.  When I went to my 20th year reunion, I had a classmate come up to me and scoff, "So, you're not President of the United States, are you?"  Hard to live up to those expectations.

I would still love to run for Congress.  I would advocate a complete overhaul of our tax system, including the elimination of the individual federal income tax.  I would also dedicate myself to single-payer, universal health care. I would go after wasteful spending in defense, corporate and agricultural subsidies, and regulations that only benefit the wealthy.  I would want to dramatically increase targeted spending in infrastructure, education, research and space exploration.

If I ran for the Georgia state legislature, my primary goal would be the preservation and strengthening of the Hope Scholarship, and of public education in general.  I would advocate flipping what the lottery is for.  Make educational support a regular part of the budget, and let the lottery be for politician's pork barrel projects.

As you can see, these are not all popular positions to hold in this area, particularly Pierce County, one of the most conservative counties in the country, that voted 81% for McCain in 2008. This is one of the toughest places on Earth to run while embracing the terms liberal and progressive.

But my incompatible politics isn't the only problem.  As mentioned in other stories, I am bone deep shy.  I hesitate tremendously in meeting new people.  I really hate making phone calls.  I also have a huge lazy streak. I value my job, and fear I would lose it if I ran.  Sometimes I think it would be cool to run just so people can hear a different opinion.  But I know without tons of money, I'm likely to get one or two lines in The Blackshear Times, and that's about it.

So my classmate is right.  I'm not going to be President of the United States.  I don't even think I could become County Commissioner.  It's taken me a long time to realize that that doesn't mean I'm a failure.  I have a great family whom I love dearly, my sons are all wonderful, contributing people.  I'm healthy, fat and happy.  I get to read, and think, and act, and say weird things on my blog and facebook.  So it ain't all bad.

But who's to say I'll never get a wild hair, throw caution to the wind and just go for it?

They can't stop me from dreaming, can they?

2 comments:

  1. Oh...c'mon...grow that wild hair!...Anyway, I love your lottery idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you needed is someone with a big mouth and a lot of money to take care of those things. I don't know anyone like that however.

    ReplyDelete