Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ripping Good Yarns: Nominations Finalized for Long Form Division

The nominations are now set!  I am keeping the previous nominees and adding an additional fan favorite.  I also now realize that I failed to exclude comedies.  I will set up a seperate award for those.

Considerations for who to vote for should consider that  these shows should be more melodramatic than the average show.  They should have a strong plot line, and interesting characters. Another consideration as to what qualifies as Ripping Good Yarn are continuity elements.  I feel the more the stories and characters cross over into each episode, the better.  This diminishes for consideration, but doesn't eliminate, shows that primarily focus on single, done-in-one stories, such as the Law and Order programs.


These are your nominees:

Castle :  The strengths of this show center around the marvelous relationship between Castle and Beckett.  Nathan Fillion is a marvelous actor, and combines humor, charm and pathos.  Beckett is very attractive, but for all her sophistication, also emanates a kind of goofy nerdiness.  You honestly believe that these two are attracted to each other.  The dialogue in the show is superior to the plotting, and the supporting characters, especially those in the police department, are significantly weaker than the the leads.  Continuity elements include our interest in the development in the Castle/Beckett relationship, and the ongoing mystery of Beckett's mother's death and the conspiracy behind it.

Fringe: Probably the best alternate universe story ever devised for television.  Outstanding characters in Peter, Walter and Astrid.  Some also have counterparts in the alternative universe. Walter may be one of the best characters on television ever.  Alison does not care for Olivia, the female lead, and I admit that she is tolerable but not great.  Strong continuity elements, but also with criminal cases that have a weird science bent.  My second favorite of J.J. Abram's shows (Lost is my runaway favorite).

The Mentalist: Alison and I call this the "Cho Show".  The secondary character of Cho is that good!  He takes stoicism to a whole new level.  The rest of the characters are pretty good, the supporting cast much stronger than Castle's.  The Mentalist himself, Jane, is a bit obnoxious, but he can be intriguing.  Continuity elements center around his quest to find Red John, the person that killed his wife and daughter.  My guess is that Red John will ultimately be revealed to be somebody he knows very well, but we may have to wait awhile for that one.

Once Upon A Time:  There are two shows that were close for consideration here.  Grimm, a similar show, was in contention for this slot.  But I have to bow to the superiority of Once Upon A Time's stories and sense of continuity.  It's similar to Lost in that they are fleshing out the current story with selected reveals from the past.  Grimm is mostly case of the week procedural, although the continuity did sharpen as the season went on.  Alison finds the characters on Once Upon A Time not compelling, but I disagree.  At this point, the villains are more interesting than the heroes.

Revenge:  Again, two shows in consideration here.  The one I actually watched was Ringer, which we enjoyed, but whose ratings were never very good.  I am bowing to general consensus that Revenge is a superior show.  I hope to see it in summer repeats.  Everything that I've heard about it indicates that it deserves to be considered.

Person of Interest: This is another JJ Abrams show.  It centers on two men who use technology to anticpate crimes and try to prevent before they occur.  I saw the first two episodes and was not impressed enough to follow, BUT since this is a JJ Abrams, I may have jumped the gun too sson.  It contains some very good actors, and I would be very interested in comments from people who have seen this program.

Voting is now open, and I will close sometime Sunday, probably early afternoon.  Vote here or on facebook.  You can just name your choice, and you can advocate for it - your call.  I would prefer that you not denigrate the choices other people make.  I look forward to your participation.

Let the selection procedure begin!

6 comments:

  1. What happened to The Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels and Scandal?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The three you mention are all short form programs 913 episodes or less) and will be eligible for that category next week. Thanks for your vote for Revenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benita, thank you. I don't know if I can work out all the stuff about the comments here, but I will do this - every time someone comments here where I also know that they are on Facebook, I will leave a message for them in Facebook that I have responded.

    ReplyDelete