Friday, May 4, 2012

The Gloriousness of Redundancy

How far will it go?

I know Seniors.  I know Juniors, sometimes called the Second.  There are Thirds, often with the nickname Trey. Only having heard it spoken, I used to think it referred to trays, like those cafeteria trays we used to use in college to go traying (a kind of sledding).

I have met a handful of Fourths, though if thirds are Trey, I don't know why Fourths aren't nicknamed Quad.  Via the tax returns I do, I have seen Fifths (Quint?).  I don't think I've ever run across a Sixth (Sext?).

I don't quite get the desire to have a whole line of male descendants with the same exact name.  Nor do I understand of calling somebody by their middle name.  If you wanted to do that, why didn't you just put their middle name first, and their first name second? But it takes many kinds and approaches to give the world it's zesty variety.

In my family, we did have a short streak of Thomas Jefferson Straits, but I don't think it got beyond four.  I have three boys, and there ain't a Junior in the bunch.  One tradition that I do carry is using maiden names within the mother's family as a middle name.  Gregory Roundtree Strait is my oldest, Roundtree being his mother's surname.  Douglas Redwine Strait has his mother's grandmother's middle.  Benjamin Sloan Strait has a middle name form his grandmother's family.  My name, Thomas Martin Strait use my mother's middle name.  And so goes our family tradition.

So my question to all my army of followers is - do you know any Sixths or higher?  Care to share?  I invite your participation!


No comments:

Post a Comment