Thursday, August 23, 2012

At Last I Gain a Daughter (In-Law)!!!

On November 3rd, my son, Douglas, officially becomes the luckiest man on Earth and marries the beautiful Ramya Srinivasan.



I had always wanted a daughter.  Instead I had three sons.  They boys have been absolutely wonderful, each one of them strong and caring individuals.  I love them all very much.  But I couldn't help but wanting to have raised a daughter as well.

And now finally, after all these years, that dream is coming true.  My son Douglas will be marrying the kind of girl that I dreamed of raising.  Beautiful, intelligent, graceful, charming, a great sense of humor, kind and caring - she is everything I would have wanted a daughter to be.

Ramya is a citizen of India, but has lived many places. including the Netherlands.  She met Doug when he was living near Georgia Tech.  She has earned her PhD in Computer Science, and has a job in that field in California.  Doug will soon have his Masters in Environmental Science from Georgia Tech.

When we first met Ramya, we did not know that she was dating Doug.  We just saw her as someone who was living in the same multi-resident house as he was.  She said hello to us and asked how we were doing.  Alison and I both thought - this would be a great girl for Doug to get to know.  It was a few weeks later that Doug told us that he was already dating her.

So it appears that soon both my sons may be living in California (Greg is a film editor in Los Angeles).  I may be able to resist the clarion call to move to California, at least until grandchildren start to appear.  Then my only hope is that my blog has grown so big that I can live wherever I want to.  Ha!  Not holding my breath!



7 comments:

  1. said like a wonderful future father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That touched me. You play the joyous father better than ANYONE. I had 3 husbands, but, only 1 father-in-law; he is 99yrs old now. He was the kindest, most interesting, truest man I'd ever known, during his son and my 13 year relationship (11 years marriage) He doesn't remember me anymore, but even after our divorce, he considered me family, and spoke of me respectfully. Your life is going to be more beautiful than you know, even as lovely as it is, now. I am HAPPY for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I am really looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet and kind. I am so very touched. I couldn't have asked for a more warm and affectionate family to be marrying into. The first Thanksgiving I spent down at Blackshear was so lovely. We were all a little nervous at the start, but I think we warmed up to each other really quickly :-) Learning to play a video games for the first time from Benjamin, visiting the Okefenokee swamp park, movies and walks .... it was a great way to get to know the family. I am so thankful that not only am I marrying a wonderful person, I am marrying into a wonderful family.See you all soon! Love, Ramya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one blessing, bestowing another, like stairs to the future.

      Delete
  5. I am very happy for you and your family, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be a great day, and all of us are looking forward to it. We are very blessed that Doug has found such a wonderful partner in life. And, Ramya, we are looking forward to many, many more family times together!

    ReplyDelete