Monday, August 27, 2012

Benjamin Baritone Blows and Other Monday Musings

The Baritone Horn has done arrived!

Benjamin went to Band Fast Start on Saturday, and he has returned with his Baritone Horn.  Not a tuba, but not a tiny instrument either, he now officially has a baritone horn to tote around.

He is making noise from it, most of which suggest flatulence more than music.  But he is trying and practicing, and we have high hopes for more distinctually musical noises in the future.

My routine has been nominally interrupted by working Fridays, but that should come to an end if not this Friday, then by next.  I got spoiled to the new schedule very quickly, and although I don't mind the work, I will be very happy to restore my new routine.

None of my entertainment plans come through as far as movies and/or television.  I saw no new movies, either at the theater or at home.  I have the True Blood finale recorded but have yet to watch it.  I did catch up on Hell On Wheels, the railroad western, which was entertaining but has failed to grip me yet as a favorite.  So far it has reminded me of a milder version of Deadwood.  But I'm interested enough in the stories and characters to let it play out.

My attempts to establish a Ripping Good Yarns group on Facebook is a-floundering.  I was hoping that it would generate it's own traffic, as people shared what they were watching or reading.  Instead, it is showing less and less activity.  I'm not much of a quitter, however, and I intend to do what I can to juice it back up.

The Strait Line, however, continues to accelerate nicely.  I am already at record levels in page views and ad revenues for the month, and there are still five days to go!

I attended a local Open Mike Night at the Okefenokee Heritage Center, where I got to read my story Old Pat T and the Great Bathroom Wars.  I got a great response, and was happy that it inspired others to get up there and tell childhood reminiscences.  Benjamin also got up there, impromptu and unplanned, and told an elaborate joke.  He got the biggest laugh of the evening, and he was boisterously applauded.

Flying Dragon ended its fabulous run of Annie.  The new facility allowed for a comfortable and intimate theatre experience.  There were many, many fine performances throughout the whole run.  The idea of changing out cast members as often as they did (four casts, and even variations within those casts from performance to performance), may on the surface seem ludicrous, complicated and unwieldy, but when I think of all the children who got opportunities to shine because of it, it makes it all worthwhile.  Flying Dragon, I salute you on a fine run, and for giving so many of our young people such a wonderful experience!

Until next time,

T. M. Strait

1 comment:

  1. I am really into Hell On Wheels...can't wait for The Walking Dead to start again. Love that they are back-to-back.
    Conagrats to you and Benjamin on your Open Mike Night!

    ReplyDelete