Saturday, August 18, 2012

I Believe Saturday Political Soapbox 34

As we head into another election season, I thought it might be a good time to delineate some of my basic beliefs. to help set the table for future discussions, and give you all a better idea of where I'm coming from.  Although most of my beliefs are to the liberal/progressive side of the spectrum, I think you will see that, like most people, I am not a monolith. Please also note that I am just laying out my beliefs, not going into a full-throated defense of each one.  That will be for later posts.

I believe in universal health care.  This is my passion and one that over-rides virtually all other considerations.  When I look at candidates I first evaluate them on how fast they will bring us to a true universal system.  A single-payer system is the only thing that makes sense to me, from both a fiscal and moral point of view.

I believe that global warming is not as bad as the mass media is making it out to be.  I believe it is much, much worse.  The scientific evidence lies all about us.  The climate change occurring is no longer theoretical, and increasing at an exponential rate that is astonishing many scientists.  I believe we have may have already passed the tipping point to be able to completely stop it, but that we shouldn't give up.

I believe in Keynesian economics, of at least some modified version.  You only get out of recessions/depressions by accelerating demand.  This means government action and projects.  This means getting money into the hands of people that will spend it.  I prefer government works projects, research and development, infrastructure improvements, shoring up states and increased support off education.  But the cold hard facts are that the most effective stimulus is unemployment insurance and food stamps, at least for the immediate bang for the buck.  Austerity programs in the face of recession do nothing but fuel the recession.

I believe that the growing divide between rich and poor is very dangerous, and threatens the democratic foundations of this country.  The social and economic mobility has become the worst of any industrialized nation.  More and more money is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.  We are rapidly marching towards a kind of feudalistic society.

I believe that we need a multi-party system in this country, and a whole host of electoral reforms, including how campaigns are financed, and the opportunity to have more choice.  Details for another post.

I believe in checks and balances.  That right now wealthy individuals and big corporations dominate, are out of control and need to be reigned in.  Unions need to increase in strength as a countervailing force.  I don't think we'll get out of our economic doldrums until we afford service workers the pay and respect they deserve.

I believe that abortion is wrong and immoral, under most circumstances.  But I see no value in criminalizing the relationship between a woman and her doctor.  We need to increase our support and understanding of mothers and their children in this country, and we need to increase the availability of birth control.

I believe the tax system needs to be completely abolished and redone.  We need to enhance and preserve it's progressivism and move it into the 21st century.  Individual income tax should be eliminated.  I propose a four tier system that I cannot do justice in this brief paragraph.  Just to sketch though, it involves 1) payroll taxes covering social security and medicare for all, 2) a financial transaction fee when investments are sold, purchased or exchanged, 3) a progressive sales tax that raises with the expense and/or luxury level of each item, and 4) a corporate/business fee based upon gross income, with the only deduction being from how much domestic payroll over a living wage the business pays.

I believe in common sense gun control.  I believe in the separation of church and state.  I believe we should attack bloat in defense spending just like we do every place else.  I support gay marriage.  I would not legalize drugs, but would strive to make the punishments more even and better fit the level of crime.

I believe that the path to making America truly great again lies in the stars.  We need to revitalize the space program.  We need to get to frakking Mars.

I have other beliefs and ideas, but I will leave those for another post at another time.  This should serve as an introduction to some of the most vital to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment