Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goooooooaaals for 2013!

As we face a new year, I am not much different than many others.  I think about what I could accomplish in the year ahead.  I don't know if I would call them resolutions.  I would call them more things I am hoping that I can focus on in the coming year.

Of course, I would like to be more devoted and attentive to my family.  And for world peace.  Those, however, will not be the goals I outline here.  But that doesn't mean they are not at the forefront of my thoughts and hopes.

These are some of my goals outside of these realms mentioned above:

- To continue my 10% retirement  even during tax season,  That does not mean the 36 hours a week I have been doing, but to put in proportionally less overtime than I have before.  It helps my health and well being immensely, Alison is supportive of it, and financially we can handle it.  October 2016 update: this remains the same, other than three additional days of vacation per year..  I'm still at 10% retirement, and my overtime during tax season has actually gone down very little.  Maybe this year? Probably not?

- To have e-book published that I am brave enough to charge money for.  I will probably have to abandon my Smashwords efforts (formatting to their satisfaction is way too difficult) and concentrate on Amazon.  The most likely candidates are short story/poem collections, one centered on a personal reminiscence theme and the other on a fantasy theme related to my imaginary world Pazoria.  October 2016 update:  I have moved away from Smashwords, and now have an ebook and three eshorts avaiable for sale.  I do have a personal reminiscence collection (Here Comes Tommy) but not a Pazoria one.

- To do my best to stick to a once a week chapter of History of the Trap even during tax season and to pump it up to two chapters a week when tax season ends, with the goal of finishing the novel in 2013. October 2016 update: History is complete and available as paperback and ebook!

- To maintain and grow my blog.  I recently had a high of 2,449 page views last month.  It has been slowly going up, and I just want to keep building on that.  I hope to increase ad revenues, but I am less sure about how to do that.  I can only hope that building traffic will lead to increased ad revenue, but so far, I just can't tell. The blog will not be easy to grow during tax season, but I am going to do my best.  October 2016:  I had highs over 20,000 page views in a couple of months, but those have been the exception rather than the norms.  I have held pretty steady to 3 to five entries a week, and am approaching 1400 entries.

- And, of course, it wouldn't be a set of New Year's Resolutions if I didn't mention weight.  I have to get my weight under control, not just to be purty, but to maintain and improve my health.  I have heard rumors that it has something to do with diet and exercise, but we will see.  October 2016:  My wight has been up and down some, but my diet has improved quite a bit.  

- I want to stay committed to children's theatre and do what I can to help Flying Dragon.  If possible  it would be great fun to co-write another play.  I also would love to return to the stage in a non-children's play, like at WACT.  October 2016 update:  I have grown away from Flying Dragon, mostly as a result of Benjamin aging.  I continue to support its efforts.  I participate in one or two WACT playa a year.

- I want to see our church grow.  I am shy and not evangelical  but I wouldn't mind assisting in the proposed charismatic night, focusing on songs and readings, and designed to familiarize more young people to our church. October 2016 update:  Grace Episcopal has had some change in membership, with people moving, getting offended or, sadly, passing away.  But we have a a fairly steady influx of new members, and we are on a growth trajectory.

- I would like to help establish and participate in a Writer's Guild at the Okefenokee Heritage Center, perhaps with the goal of producing an e-magazine, or paper copy magazine. October 2016 update:  The OHC Writer's Guild is a strong, dynamic organization, with many exciting new writers, and we do a collection of award winning writers from our annual Writer's contest, now in it's third year!

Those are some of my personal goals for the year.  Will I accomplish them?  Who knows?  Maybe a couple, in full or in part.  At this point, it's just good to have an eye on something else, as I start to head into the submarine of tax season.

Down periscope!


7 comments:

  1. Tom, we would be interested in a writer's guild, if there are enough participants who are serious about writing. We both have considerable experience in that area. As you know, I also like to write plays. I have not been truly motivated for awhile, but a group effort would inspire effort, I think. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested in participating in a Writer's Guild. I have some ideas for a book that I would like to start. Good luck with the goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think it's a great idea. There are several people that I think would be interested. My social organizational skills are somewhat lacking, but I do think it would be neat to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know of a retired teacher named Will Jacques and another couple of people who are really excited about the prospects of a writer's guild. Want to plan on meeting the 2nd Tuesday in February as an organizational meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, definitely! We probably need to have a specific time in mind so that it can be included in the bulletin or whatever it is. 6? 6:30? 7? Whatever's best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this had been scheduled until I went to the Photog. exhibit last night at the OHC and there it was on the newsletter! Fortunately, Steve revealed the secret to me. It is now on my calendar; but do you think this should be posted as a FB event and our FB friends invited?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I wasn't sure of the date and time until Thursday (I called him - haven't received the newsletter yet). But I will create a Facebook event for this. From everything I've seen so far, I think this is going to get a good response.

    ReplyDelete