Monday, November 17, 2014

A Non-Distant Journey and Other Monday Musings


There was apparently a big county fair going on in Waycross.  I did not go.  I don't think we've been in about a decade.

They had some kind of bazaar thing at the Church on Saturday.  It helped raise a lot of money for the church, and was a very positive outreach for us.  I did not go to that either.

There was a Farmer's Market.  I did not go to that.

I did not see a movie at the theatre.  They started nothing new that I wanted to see.  Kirk Cameron"s Saving Christmas started there, and it will probably run there through epiphany, even if it is a box office disaster everywhere else.

Alison and her mother went to an antique show in Florida, and were gone Friday through late Saturday night.  Then she was called up to work Sunday to help decorate the office for Christmas (yes, I am aware that is still ten days away from Thanksgiving).  So there was a lot of time apart this weekend.

So even though Benjamin and I did not get out to the movie theater, we did see the movie Journey to the West at home, streamed off Netflix.  It was a delightful gem of a movie.  As Benjamin would say, "It had comedy AND action!  What more could you want?"  Well, he didn't actually use those words, but close enough.  The movie was subtitled, but even those were fun, using words like frigging and scumbag.  The story was strange, something about demon hunters and the power of love and Buddha  and the Monkey King - it was a whirl of color and fun.

I did get a bit more writing done.  It was not as much as I wanted, but it never is.  I am closing in on the finish line on the first book of History of the Trap.  It would be fantastic to hole up for a week and just knock it out.  Then even if it never makes me a dime, I can at least say I finished it.

I will expand on this in subsequent posts, but the trolling on my liberal postings is both interesting and tiring.  It is interesting in that most of the conservative vitriol I get on Facebook comes not from from my minions of conservative neighbors around where I live, but from people from high school whom I don't really know all that well.  It is fascinating to see how my class has divided out along political lines.  People who went through similar experiences growing up have sharply different political views.  We all grew up in a community near where Michael Moore grew up, and around the same time.  The per capita income was one of the best in the country, and it was highly balanced, with limited extremes of rich and poor.  Much of the solid middle class lifestyle of those around me could be attributed to unions.  Anyways, more on that in another post.

O clock!  You smack me back to the reality of what I must do for a living!

Until next time,

T. M. Strait





No comments:

Post a Comment