Monday, November 24, 2014

School's Out and Other Monday Musings

Well, another weekend and I failed to use my camera once.

School's out!  In addition to the wonderfully extensive Christmas and Spring breaks, they also get a full week at Easter. Meanwhile, at my work, the debates are usually centered around whether it's in the manual or not that we get Friday after Thanksgiving off, Christmas Eve and/or New Year's Eve (yes, half day and no).

Doug's coming!  My middle son Doug will be coming to stay with us during the Thanksgiving break.  He should be with us starting tomorrow night.  We have secured plenty of root beer, vegetarian food options, and Benjamin has got the new Super Smash Brothers game, because there's nothing those two brothers like more than playing some Smash Brothers with each other.

Movie time!  We saw nothing this weekend but hope to see both The Hunger Games: Mockinjay Part 1 and The Theory of Everything while Doug is here. I still love going to the movies!

New foster!  We brought Sally back to the shelter because the number of adoptions are up there, and she is just not getting seen from our house.  She also, although a great dog, does not do well at events like Pet Smart and Tractor Supply.  I pray someone will see her who is a perfect match for her and she has a great new permanent home this Christmas.  Meanwhile, we have taken home a bulldog mix named Hugo, who has only a week or two left to finish his heartworm treat.

I know at the beginning of this I said I had no pictures, but Alison just used my phone to take this of Hugo.  More pictures to come later!


Writing Weekend!  Well, more like Thursday and Friday.  I took Thursday off (part of using up my phat extra three days of vacation a year).  I am now withing smelling distance of finishing the first volume of The History of the Trap!  I accomplished little writing Saturday and Sunday partly due to family activities, but also because I had a massive headache that made it difficult for me to wear my glasses and to concentrate on reading or writing.

TV weekend!  With reading and writing out, we caught up on some of our TV programs.  Many of them had "Fall finales" with no new episodes scheduled until late January!  That's okay.  If we ever catch completely up on current shows, we can start streaming some old favorites again, like The Office and Downton Abby.  Alison has started watching The Gilmore Girls, one of her all time favorites.  My favorite part is how the daughter, Rory, always carried a fiction book with her.  And my god, those Gilmore girls could eat a ton without gaining weight!

Football weekend!  It was the kind of football weekend that might cure us forever from watching football.  Michigan Wolverines, the Detroit Lions and the Atlanta Falcons all went down hard.  Georgia won, but I think they were playing a Division Five team composed of nuns.  Pierce County did win in that weekend's round in the State playoffs, and now they will play the next round this Thanksgiving weekend.  Doesn't anybody have this as a big opportunity to visit out-of-town family?

Political weekend!  Truthfully, not so much for me.  Watching the stunningly stupid reaction to the President's immigration decisions, and hoping beyond hope that the Republicans decide to legislate rather than to hateificate, but that may be too much to ask.  Praying that that the upcoming Ferguson grand jury decision is handled in the best way possible, with effective non-violent protest (assuming that Darrell Wilson is not indicted) and that the police and Guard give them the space to protest without over-reacting.


Until next time,

T. M. Strait







No comments:

Post a Comment