Friday, November 7, 2014

Ripping Good Yarns: 2014 Seven Movies for the Holidays

It's getting time for the holidays! Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Epiphany, followed by tax season (OK, try not to think about that part)....all just around the corner!  And that means.......

MOVIES!!!

This list of seven most anticipated movies concentrates on our theme....RIPPING GOOD YARNS....great fiction stories told with melodrama and pizazz...yes, there are some great biopics and true life stories coming (Still Alive, Wild, The Theory of Everything) but the focus here is on those that will warm your heart, leave you thrilled, and stop your heart.




A new version of Annie is on it's way!  It stars Jamie Foxx as Daddy Warbucks (Will Stacks) and the very talented Quvenzhone Walls as Annie, the Oscar nominated young star of the critically acclaimed Beasts of the Southern Wild. It's release date is December 19th.




Big Hero 6 starts today (November 7th)!  It is THE animated movie of the season.  It's all about the Baymax, an inflatable robot who reminds me of a friendly version of The Ghostbuster's Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, and a boy who is a high tech prodigy.  It looks like a real blast!




Catch The Office's Steve Carrell in a completely different kind of performance, in Foxcatcher, coming out either November 19th or January 9th, depending on what source you go to.  Technically, this is based on a true story, but I think it will have some real true crime pizazz to it.




Like The Ten Commandants movie? Well, come back for an extra special dip in the Exodus:Gods and Kings movie, opening December 12.  Directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner), this may or may not be a movie that appeals to the Christian right.  Those of my friends who are Christian right will have to let me know.  I do know it should be large scale entertainment, regardless.




Into the Woods!  Those of you who want to see this movie REALLY REALLY want to see this movie.  I'll have to make up my mind as I see more previews, but it does look like it was made with all stops out.  Opening on Christmas Day.  As far as that day itself goes, I'm reasonably sure I'll be doing other things.



The Hunger Games: Mockinjay Part 1 opens November 21.  I have not read these books (Alison has and loved them), but I was much more impressed with the second movie than the first.  I am looking forward to its continuation.  Out of all the pictures I could run on this movie, why run one of Natalie Dormer as Cressida?  Because I really like Natalie Dormer.  Next question? 



This is the movie I am most looking forward to.  The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies opens December 17, and I intend to be there front and center as early as I can.  Yes, they did stretch out a relatively short book, but what the heck.  I have enjoyed the ride.  And Alison, if you are concerned about my celebrity crush on Natalie Dormer, I have two words for you - Orlando Bloom!




How many of these will I see in the theaters?  At least two to maybe up to four.  We'll see.  I love the movies!




No comments:

Post a Comment