Thursday, November 13, 2014

Dream Vacations


Dream Vacations!  Gotta love 'em.  My sister and brother-in-law have been on theirs, to the wonderful islands of Hawaii.  My parents went twice to this tropical paradise and now they are getting to follow in their footsteps!



Ah, Hawaii!  A beautiful place, made even more beautiful by the TV show Hawaii Five-O (helped along in part by the colorization efforts of my film editor son, Greg).

Dream vacations are a major delight.  They give one a focus and a hope to see someplace they've always wanted to, and to step out of their normal routine and lives.

We recently had a dream vacation, visiting California, including San Francisco, traveling the Coastal Highway, Los Angeles and Pasadena.  It was an incredible experience!

But new dreams arise!  Vacations to me are always like, "Thank you!  May I please have another?"  So where else do we dream of going?



Faith and begorrah!  Stars and garters?  Tis' Ireland be calling me and me lassie!  We would love to spend a week in Ireland, centered in the countryside, at some cozy cottage, and just drive around and see what we can see.  Like coastlines and castles, leprechauns and lighthouses.





I daresay, London's calling!  It would be a lot of hustle and bustle, but I do believe that we could "bear" it!



O Canada!  Yes, I still have as my ultimate dream trip to take several weeks and start at one end of Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edwards Island) and to leisurely travel our way across the country, ending in Vancouver.



Think I should have a more exotic locale in mind?  How about Patagonia, the southern region of Argentina and Chile.  Beautiful landscapes AND weather that runs counter to here in the Southern United States.  A perfect place to get away from Georgia's unrelenting heat.





I had one of my best vacations ever recently.  It was a mini-Staycation, where I just enjoyed being home, including a lot of writing.  I love to have a couple travel vacations a year, but often, there's nothing quite like being at home!  As my career slowly downshifts, I look forward to more and more time at this most lovely vacation spot!


3 comments:

  1. My family has traveled a lot over the years. I walked on the Great Wall and saw many of the Beijing highlights way before it was Americanized for the Olympics there. I visited Germany and Prague during the year my eldest daughter was an exchange student living there for her junior year of high school. I have seen several places in the Caribbean including Cancun, a vacation we really could not afford at the time but wanted to take so our youngest daughter could enjoy a "senior trip" with many of her classmates. My husband took a wonderful vacation many years ago with his dad, brother and uncle to visit family property in Greece and to locate the orphanage in Italy where he spent the first 2 years of his life. Our hope someday was to go back to Cancun or for the kids and I to join him on a trip back to Greece. We did not live a fancy life but we did take much pride in knowing we had given our kids the gift of travel, beginning at an early age. Daughter #1 has visitied: Italy, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Japan, Ireland, Spain, England, France, Germany, Prague, Cancun, Cozumel, Canada; living in Japan as an exchange student. Daughter #2 has visited: France, England, Denmark, Germany, Praque, Spain, China, Switzerland, Cozumel, Costa Rica, Canada.

    Vacations can be like a dream come true, but yes, there is no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating trips! I was very fortunate when I was young in that my Dad would get National Science Scholarships in the summer, and we would go to places where he went to study, like Stanford in California and the University of Oregon in Eugene. Then in college I would tour across the country with the University of Michigan's Men's Glee Club. By the time I graduated from college I had seen most of the states. Foreign travel has proven more elusive, as I have just been to Canada (Ontario and Montreal) and a toe dip into the Disney Bahamas. My older boys took a big trip to Australia a few years ago. They did not take me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. dream holiday destinations

    ReplyDelete