Friday, November 21, 2014

History of the Trap: January Campaigns Part 4

4

Election Day came and we were very worried.  And we had a right to be.  Despite our best efforts, we got it handed to us.  If we were an invasion, we failed miserably.
Mark Granite won the Student Council Presidency in a landslide, something on the order of 700 plus out of around 875 votes. Jan Houser actually thought she had a shot.  She thought students would respond to reason. 
The rest of the council was dominated by the Grani-Knights.  They held fourteen of the twenty one seats.  There were only five from our coalition and two unaffiliated.  Morgan Tigh was on the council - her and Mark were getting along at least enough for her to do that.  Wilbur James was another winner.
Lindsay Starn retained her seat on the council, and continued to pledge her support to us.   She was pretty brave and we appreciated it.  Artie was going to have to get used to politics, as he was also elected.  He might not have the votes to control the council, but he sure had the nerve to shake things up.
Artie and Lindsay and our other allies would have to do without me, though.  I lost, finishing sixth out of the eleven running for the five senior slots.
My reports of what happened on the council would now have to come from my conversations with Artie, Doctor Duncan.  I was no longer privy to the top circles of governance.
And the things that happened as a consequence over the coming months and years would shake me to the core.  Why didn't I campaign more effectively?  Why couldn't I have fought harder?  And why didn't I stand up for my Dad?

More regrets, Doctor Duncan.  Sometimes they just overwhelm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment