Monday, December 15, 2014

Getting the Boot and Other Monday Musings



The marvelous cast and crew of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  The show is now over, but it had a great run, drawing large, enthusiastic crowds.  You can see that the cast was primarily young people, and I think it was an enjoyable learning experience for them.  They put in great performances and were well-behaved backstage (well, at least at a 95% level -they are kids, after all).

This was my last play performance until after tax season, and I will miss it.  Directing and then performing a small part was nice, but I am hungry for something a little more. The reality is, at my age, the number of parts that I am qualified for are becoming fewer and fewer,  But I still love to act.  It's one of those rare things about myself that I have a great deal of confidence in.
-------------------

Getting the boot refers to my horrible experience with the COMIC BOOK COLLECTING group on Facebook.  I got booted out because I posted a blog entry onto their group.  Now, this was not new, it was something I had been doing at rare intervals for about a year, rare because I don't post many blog entries about comics.  And that's all I would post to their site.  I was accused of self-promotion, and trying to make money, I guess.

Everything they said about me was wrong.  I have no advertising, and I have no means of making money from it (sad but true).  I'm not mining the group for followers - I have very few followers.  I'm not even quite sure what it means to be a follower.  I have 28 listed on my blog, but some of those are people who are on there more than once but with different icons, and I don't know what they do that anyone else reading does. And what comic book fan in their right mind would want to follow a blog that is 99% NOT about comics?  I have only half a dozen or so comic book posts out of over a thousand posts.

My only goal was to communicate ideas that take more than a few sentences, something they might enjoy. Something more than the "I liek comix" and "how dare they cast a black person as Human Torch" and "Is that comic I just bought new last week now worth lots of money?"  The article I wrote was one of my rare researched pieces and took several hours of preparation.

And as far as self-promotion, here's a shocker - Facebook IS self-promotion.  Everything you say and do on Facebook is about expressing who you are and your interests and ideas.

-------------------

Advent is soon drawing to a close, and Christmas season will begin.  We have started the slow roll out of Christmas decorations, but that has not included the tree yet.

-----------------------

The Detroit Lions had a close game, but the final outcome was in their favor.  With the Packer's unexpected loss, the Lions are in first place, and I'm actually beginning to think they have a shot at qualifying for the playoffs.  It's December and the Lions are in first place in their division.  Rare and exciting words!

The Atlanta Falcons, on the other hand, took a giant step towards elimination, as they lost to Pittsburgh.  What you can you do when Matt Ryan has about a millisecond as to think what to do, and the other quarterback has enough time to go out for coffee and eat brunch?

In football I like the running game, and a well protected quarterback,  The passing and circus catches are interesting, but my favorite receiver is Detroit's Golden Tate III.  He is a YAC (Yards After Catch) leader, and he is just as exciting after catching the ball as he is catching the ball as after.  Run, Golden Tater, run!

----------------------------

Oy.  The clock is slamming into me again.  I have just three work days this week, so I have that to look forward to.

Until next time,

T. M .Strait








No comments:

Post a Comment