Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Ripping Good Yarns: Comic Book Truth In Numbering



Yes.  I was different even as a kid.  I took  the clutch of change that Grandma gave me, went down to the general store a few houses down from her lakefront home, and there I would buy some comics.  My favorites?  The ones with the HIGH numbers, like Action and Adventure.  They were just breaking into the 300s, and I thought about how wonderful it would be to be there and get them when they reached #1,000!


There's one of the early ones I got.  #309, where President Kennedy helped Superman by masquerading as Clark Kent.  This is actually a reading copy I got a few years ago.  The original was so well worn, I had lost its cover.



This is the current issue of Action Comics.  Yes, I was faithful.  Yes, I stuck with the title through thick and thin.  Through good story-lines and horrible story-lines.  And my reward?  Three years ago, they renumbered it to #1 again.  Why?  Something to do with "starting over" and fooling digital comic readers.  It doesn't matter.  They broke faith with me and other long time readers.

So this #36 is really #940.  If they don't have the courage to put this on their front cover, they should at least put in as a whole number in the indicia.  Who could it hurt?  And it would mean so much to me and other countless fans who care about the thread of history.

And this is not the only title mucked up this way.  Only Looney Tunes (#223 in two months) and Mad Magazine (#532 in two months) hold their original numbering.

Based on Westfield Comics catalog for comics to be released in February, here is the COVER number compared to the ACTUAL issue number, based on my best estimate using the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide:

Secret Six #3?   #46!!!

Harley Quinn #15?  #53!!!

Secret Origins #10?  #67!!!

Lobo #5?  #69!!!

Batgirl #39?  #142!!!

Star Spangled War Stories #7?  #211!!!

Supergirl #39?  #219!!!

Catwoman #39?  #216!!!

Teen Titans #7?  #214!!!

Aquaman #39?  #247!!!

Green Arrow #39?  #251!!!

Swamp Thing #39?  #259!!!

World's Finest #39?  #362!!!

Green Lantern #39?  #510!!!

Justice League #39?  #598!!!

Wonder Woman #39?  # 653!!!

Flash #39?  #636!!!

Batman #39?  #752!!!

Superman #39?  #753!!!

Detective Comics #39?  #920!!!

Action Comics #39?  #940!!!!!!!

940!!!

Just a tiny modicum of respect...a whole number in the indicia. That's all I'm asking for!

Please?









No comments:

Post a Comment