Saturday, December 13, 2014

History of the Trap: March Coup Part 1

Chapter Fourteen

March Coup

1

The consequences of my anger and resultant indifference to my Father were made apparent by events in March.  I am perhaps fantasizing when I think that anything I would have done would have made a difference.  But had I been more alert and caring, maybe I wouldn't feel as bad about it as I do now.
World Humanities with Mrs. Forsyth was an enjoyable class, even with all the distractions of where we were.  Some didn't feel it important that we discussed so much about a world that may not even exist anymore, but I enjoyed it.  We began by focusing on Greek culture, and their many contributions to society.  We read Antigone by Sophocles, studied Greek architecture and explored Athenian democracy.   Some math and geometry concepts were discussed, but my eyes glazed over in that part.  Then we moved on to Roman culture, and were just starting to discuss Julius Caesar and his brutal betrayal, as written by Shakespeare.  'Et tu, Brutus?' 
The first meeting of the Council was brutal.  My father was refusing to ratify the list of names for the student security staff, as even though Mr. Tate was asked to bring in a more balanced list, he had submitted it virtually unchanged from February.  He asked Mr. Bruchow to work with the new Vice-Principal, Mr. Charles Stein, in selecting an alternative list, and that he would hen blend the two lists together.  This did not go over well at all, but my father overruled a vote adopting the list Mr. Tate prepared, claiming that is was a decision that required his executive approval. 
How long he would have that authority was questionable, as the committee to look at rules and bylaw changes for the council wanted to chip at my Dad's veto authority by having an over-rule provision by a two-thirds vote by the Council, including students, faculty and administrative staff.  It would set up the students and faculty/staff as almost a bicameral legislature, with each having to have majority votes to ratify actions, and then my father could choose to approve or veto.  Artie, who was part of the committee, endorsed some of the ideas but not all of them.  It also had a mechanism to remove the Principal from power, kind of an impeachment process.  I didn't know what to think.  In the abstract, it all seemed democratic enough.
My father, though, angered some by not immediately bringing the new rules to a vote.  He said he would have to study them, and then give his input. 
The committee looking at marriages did get their proposal approved.  My father just added that the couple interested in getting married needed to have a minimum of three counseling sessions, with a guidance counselor, and that a small committee composed of an administrator, faculty and student representative review the marriage application and process and unanimously approve it.  With these modifications, this proposal was passed and authorized by my father.
The next meeting was scheduled in another week, at which time the student security staff would be finalized, and my father would give his recommendations on the bylaw changes. 
Artie was disturbed by the whole tone that seemed to be carried by many at the meeting.  There seemed to be subtle blame directed at my father for some of the mishaps that occurred, including the tunnel collapse, the rash of suicides that followed, the students that just disappeared, those that died in accidents, anything and everything they could think of.  No one blamed him for what I blamed him for; the fact that Lisa's murderer walked free.
Artie wanted to talk more about it, but I stopped listening.  Let my father deal with his own stuff.  It was none of my concern.
I was naive.


No comments:

Post a Comment