Monday, December 1, 2014

The Non-Hunger Games and other Monday Musings



We got to see a movie this weekend!

Alison, Benjamin, Doug and myself all got out to the The Hunger Games: Mockinjay Part 1.  It was not a bad little movie, but it did end rather abruptly.  I'm not sure of the great necessity for splitting the last Hunger Games book into two movies, but it does seem to be a growing trend in Hollywood.  As Mel Brooks playing Yogurt would say, "Spaceballs 2: The Quest for More Money".  It was a good entertainment, and I got to see Natalie Dormer in a nice role, even if half her hair was missing.

We wanted to see The Theory of Everything, but it wasn't playing either here or in Brunswick.  Meanwhile, a film that was a massive critical and box office bomb continued to play at the local bijou as if it were Avatar or Gone With the Wind...Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas. Oy.

The rest of the Thanksgiving break was the opposite of The Hunger Games, as I ate far too much, and consumed far too many heartburn pills.  I was left alone one meal to devise my own leftover combination, and came up with squash casserole mixed with cheese grits, chicken thigh meat and ketchup.  For some reason, that led to yet another heartburn pill.

We enjoyed the company of Doug and Alison's mother on Thanksgiving day.  We played Trivial Pursuit, a game I got a couple of years ago but no one would play with me because they knew I was too good at it.  So, of course, we played the game twice and I lost both times, once to Doug and once to Alison.  My ability to answers questions was matched by a lack of ability to get good rolls, virtually never landing on whatever I needed to land on.

The weekend was a huge disappointment as far as writing goes.  I stand on the verge of finishing the first volume of History of the Trap, yet I spent most of my time focused on family and other things.  Oh, well.  I still hope to finish before the first of the year.

The Strait Line broke it's page view record again this last month, reaching 22,773 page views.  I wish there was another way I could earn advertising revenue, outside of AdSense, as they have banished me for life.

More stories are coming in about the devastating effects of climate change, and I fear we have passed a window to stop it.  This is one of those places where I lose the most patience with my conservative friends.  Their stubbornness in the face of overwhelming evidence, their willful ignorance of the consequences of our present course, has me very worried.

After a rocky first night, the Ferguson protests have settled in to a more non-violent basis.  And what does that mean?  It's easier for most of us to pretend that they're not going on now.  I had a friend say that people don't protest non-violently anymore, that we don't have the protest movements like we did in the 60s.  Ahhh, yes we do.  There have been some huge rallies in the last few years, including the largest climate change rally in the US ever in New York City a few months ago.  It was just ignored, by many of you and by most of the media.  And as the Ferguson protests are now 99.99999% non-violent, you will hear less and less about them, whether they involve 100 people or 100,000 people.  Property crime is a terrible thing, and it cannot be excused.  It is not, however, equal to the life of a child.

Until next time,

T. M .Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment