Friday, December 12, 2014

History of the Trap: February Myths Part 3

3

Lindsay Starn was right.  More or less.  She did want me to write something.
We met in the guidance office that was Mr. Joe Oliver's, up until the time he was murdered in that very office.  Now it was occupied by the new head guidance counselor, Mrs. Glenda Novik.  She was a tall, friendly woman, and looked a lot like Mary Tyler Moore.  Our guidance counselors had become more like psychological therapists than career counselors.  They had a tough job, and sometimes they lost the battle, as evident by our high rate of suicide, particularly back in August when so many were depressed after the tunnel collapse.  I sure wish they could have helped Sue Boschman more.
Mrs. Novik stayed in the office with us, as did Andrea's bodyguard, Gary Jackson.  I don't know if that was for her protection or mine.  Both stayed quiet while Andrea spoke.
It was the first time I had ever heard her voice.  It was excited, a little high pitched, and she spoke quite quickly.  I had to listen carefully to catch everything.
Her long, wild red hair, swooshed around as she animatedly talked.  She was thin, of medium height (probably just a couple inches shorter than myself), and had intense blue eyes. 
"I really love The Sands of Loren, Mr. Martin," she gushed.  "I really do.  It is so wonderful with all the marvelous characters and everything.  I really love Dr. Brenda Marr, she is so cool, better than any doctor I ever met and I just know she's not the killer.  I just know it!  She's not the killer, is she?"
I stated to open my mouth for a reply, but Andrea just rolled on.  "Oh, no!  Don't tell me!  I want to find out when everyone else does.  But I think it's that Nurse Rackett.  She acts like an airhead, but I'll bet you she's really evil.  Sometimes people surprise that way.  And I really miss Detective Haskins.  He's so beautiful and intelligent and just such a good match for Brenda and I just know they're going to get together someday.  I think you should do one where they honeymoon in Niagara Falls, that would be so pretty, and have it be on the Canadian side because that side is so much better.  I know that David Deneau, the guy who plays him, in real life has gone to the farm but it's a shame because he such a good actor, surely someone else could be a farmer.  Acting is so much better than farming, don't you think?"
And on and on and on she went.  I was unclear as to what was the point of it all.  Finally, I began to realize that she wanted me to add a character to the soap.  It was disguised, but she wanted me to add her. 
She talked about how great if an heiress could come in; maybe reveal her to be the hospital owner.  She could be a good character, but one who was powerful and would speak her mind, no matter what anyone else thought.  "And she could become best friends with Dr. Brenda Marr, and she could help her solve the murders now that Detective Haskins was gone."
I managed to get a question in.  "And what is it you think this new character should look like?"
Andrea exploded with enthusiasm.  "She should be really pretty, but not as beautiful as Dr. Marr, that would be too distracting.  She should be thin and not too tall, with a really long pretty hair, and with big intense expressive eyes, and be strong and soft at the same time."
Yeah, that wasn't subtle.  I think I was beginning to get what she was after.  "Do you want to try out for this part?"
Her eyes lit up like firecrackers.  "Why, I'm so flattered that you would think of me!  I mean, I would be so honored!  I haven't really acted before.  Well, except at home, in my own room, you know in front of the mirror."  She took a breath, looking like she thought she might have stepped too far and revealed a little bit too much about her self.  For all their family's money, Andrea must have been a lonely little girl.  "Anyways, I mean, are you really thinking about adding the part?  Are you?"
My first instincts were all, are you crazy?  This is my story, and I'll shape the way I want to!  But I needed a creative jolt, and to be callous about it, if I befriended this girl, perhaps I could learn more about how Gregor Robotics might be involved in out Trap.  "I'll tell you what.  Give me a chance to write something up and in a few days, you can come down to the studio to try out."
She was so excited that a pencil sharpener and some books that were on the corner of the desk just flew off.  I didn't see her hit them, but she must have as she got up.  "I'll be there, Mr. Martin!  You can count on me!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"  She got up and came around to me.  My gosh, she was so excited she almost seemed to be floating on air.
She approached me, and I thought she was going to hug me, but she stopped just short.  Instead she went over to her bodyguard and said, "I must prepare now.  Please take me to Mrs. Forsyth's room, Gary.  I must get my mind ready for this."
Gary led her out of the room.  Mrs. Novik smiled at me.  "Thank you, Lance.  That was sweet of you to let her do that."
"No problem, Mrs. Novik.  The soap needs a jolt, anyway," I said." 
"That is the most I've ever heard her say.  She may not be easy, Lance, you should be aware of that.  Let me know right away if there are any problems."
Yeah, I could see that.  I also had no idea if she could act her way out of a paper bag, or if she would be a talent to rival Franny Cranfield.
"You might to star her part real small, and she how it develops from there," said Mrs. Novik.
"Sure," I replied.  My curiosity got the better of me.  "I just wondered what is she doing here, though?  You would think that with all her family's money that she would be going to Huron Preparatory Academy or even someplace fancy out of state."
"Her choices may have been more narrowed than you think.  She's had some...well, never mind.  That's not my place to tell.  Just don't overtax her, and don't let her get too hyper, if you can help it.  And if other kids are mean to her, let me know."
"Will that bodyguard guy be with her?" I asked.
"Yes.  Wherever she is, that's where he is going to be."
"I don't know how Mr. Resart will feel about it."  Mr. Donald Resart was the teacher in charge of the TV studio.
"Don't worry about Mr. Resart.  I'll talk to him."
I nodded.  "Okay, Mrs. Novik.  We'll give it a whirly-burley.  See how it flies."  I actually hoped she didn't fly.  That would certainly make camera work awkward.

And that's my strongest memory of February.  Andrea turned out to be quite an actress, not as restrained or as talented as Franny, but the audience appreciated her somewhat wild antics.  She mostly came alive onstage, and offstage would only talk to me.  It was much later that I was able to figure out much more about Gregor Robotics, or even vital things about her.  Things that would have been good to know a whole lot earlier.

I have much stronger memories of March.  It was a month of significant changes, and the Trap would never be the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment