Monday, January 4, 2016

Back to Work Monday Musings


Nice meme, but tomorrow is now today, and it will turn into yesterday soon enough.  It's the beginning of the long stretch.  The next formal day off at my workplace is....Memorial Day.

The break was nice.  I could get used to it, if it wasn't for those pesky bills and that gosh awful sense of responsibility.  One thing I am sure of - I have the infinite capacity to keep myself busy and entertained even if I'm not working in accounting.  I've helped reformulate my plans to make what I need when the time comes, and I'm satisfied that I can do it - at least pursue it, and with good luck, achieve my basic goals.

I have failed to stay away from theatre.  I was in the special showing of The Diary of Anne Frank in December, and now I am cast, along with my son, Benjamin, in The Music Man, a production to be done in early March.  It is my first tax season musical.  The last time I was in one was Shenandoah in 2001, and that way a May musical, not a March one.  It's hard to say no to theatre when your son wants to participate too.

My writing has slowed, as I am stressed about the stories, novels and collections I have completed but have not published.  I have basically decided to self-publish, but I am slowed by covers and other road blocks, including my own inertia.  I don't suffer from writer's block, but I do suffer from publisher's block.  I'm not quite sure why, but I can't afford the therapy to find out.

We finally saw Start Wars on December 30th.  I am not a hater of the second trilogy from the late nineties. Those movies seemed okay, and I was just excited to see the saga continue.  Nevertheless, I must say that this new one is the Star Wars I have been waiting for.  It was an exciting mix of new characters and old characters.  Daisy Ridley as Rey was the perfect protagonist, and played it with an Oscar worthy range of emotions and depth. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is clearly the best picture of the year, but I highly doubt if Hollywood will recognize it as such.  They will probably opt for something much smaller in scale, a movie that easily could have been a made-for-TV movie.

Football season is finally at an end,  Yes, I realize that they are still bowl games and playoffs left, but our teams (Michigan and Georgia, Detroit and Atlanta) are not involved, and I'm not enough of a fan of the sport itself to watch games without favorites.  We may catch the Packers, but that is about it.

We begin the year with Trump in first place and Cruz in second.  The Republican Party base seems determined to serve up the worst of the worst.  I don't know what makes their base so angry and vile - they must live in some other universe than the one I do.  I don't know if there are enough voters who believe the way they do to carry the day, but I don't want to find out.  I don't want some event or strange Clintonesque pseudo-scandal to warp one of these morangos into Presidential control.  I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that I don't think the Earth can stand it.  Ignoring global warming alone will be sufficient to destroy the course of civilization.

My weight is up as I begin the New Year's diet time.  Not as bad as last year's starting point, but disappointing enough.  Well, all I can do is take a deep sigh and go back to the diet drawing board, and do my best to make sure we don't have to widen any doors.


Until next time,

T. M. Strait




No comments:

Post a Comment