Thursday, January 7, 2016

Cold at Last on a Thursday Morning

Heading into the submarine for yet another tax season.



OK.  Granted, it's not cold by Michigan standards, but it's certainly much colder than it was in December, where many days hovered into the mid-eighties.  Right now it is 47 degrees, with the high of 64 expected. Monday shows a low of 33 with, of course, no precipitation expected.  The general pattern here is that if the temperature here is at or below freezing, the conditions are dry, and that when the temperature go up is when it more likely to rain. In the next fifteen days, the greatest chance of rain (60%) is this Saturday night, with the low being no lower than 44.

Meanwhile, the weather matters less as I am headed into the submarine, and really don't get many opportunities to be outside.  Hopefully, if it does snow, I will be alert enough to go out and see it. The last snowfall of any significance here was Christmas Day of 1989.

Sometimes I forget how far south I am.  I have a friend who lives in Sedona, Arizona, who was reporting a snowfall in her area.  I wondered if I lived farther south than she did.  She said she was parallel with Little Rock, Arkansas, which, if you check a map, is a good chunk north of Blackshear.  I looked at Sedona, and moved South until I found something parallel to Blackshear's latitude.  What I found was Nogales, Arizona, right smack next to to the border of Mexico.

What I found in further research was that there were parts of Mexico that were north of where I live.  This took me by surprise.  This Central Michigan boy, who fantasized about moving to Bismarck, North Dakota, because he didn't feel like he was far enough north, was now living in a place that was south of parts of Mexico.  

Oh, well.  It could be worse, for someone who doesn't mind a little winter now and then.  I could be in Key West., or Hawaii.  There is at least an extremely remote statistical chance of a snowfall here, whereas there is none in Key West or Hawaii.

I like a change of seasons.  That is very mild to nonexistent here.  And much of whatever mild winter we have I miss, because I'm in the tax season submarine.  But if it does happen, I hope I at least get a chance to get out in it a few minutes.  That would be swell.

Come to think of it, if it snows down here, even just a few inches, I'd probably either be trapped at work or at home, as traffic here would be absolutely paralyzed until it melted off.  

I vote for home.



No comments:

Post a Comment