Friday, January 22, 2016

Arriving Late to the Squirrel Party



This was yesterday?

Another holiday missed as the great tax season bubble continues to subsume my mental processes.

But I will fight back!

Maybe.  We'll see.

The squirrel in the picture above is surrounded by a falling snow.  As much of the east coast will be today.  A mighty blizzard will make things treacherous in much of the east, including North Georgia.

But not us down here.  There is a remote statistical chance we may get something, briefly, fleetingly. Most likely not, though.

I like snow and change of seasons.  That however, does not include deluges and blizzards that endanger people's lives.  Thoughts and prayers to everyone in the path of this massive storm.

Squirrels are about the only wildlife that dares to enter our backyard.  They find our oak tree and acorns too much to resist.  Our dogs give chase, but the squirrels are too quick and clever to be caught. It provides massive entertainment for dog and squirrel alike.  The cat watches from the screened-in porch, amused at their incompetence, and turns to us, beseeching "Put me in, Coach".

I'm not sure I'd want squirrels as pets, but they are fascinating to watch.  And I guess, given the attraction of our oak tree, they are a kind of free range pet.  Certainly cheaper to feed than our dogs and cat.

My favorite fictional squirrel is Rocky J.  Yes, I am a big fan of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.  Great cartoon, one of the first cartoon TV series to have a satirical edge, with jokes that both kids and adults could appreciate.



Well, that's all the time I've been able to "squirrel" away for writing.

Have a good Friday, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment