Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Final SOTU from our current POTUS




I love our President.

I wish I had time for an in depth review, but I don't.  I am proud of him.  He is not perfect.  No one is.  But I believe he has done an outstanding job of getting this country back on track.  Many problems remain, but I cannot fathom where we would be if he had not steered our economic ship out of the terrible ditch that it was in, if he had not revived the auto industry, if he had not brought health care access to millions, if he had not moved to judiciously extradite us from Iraq.  Some measures seem daring, while others are the best steps he could take to begin to move us forward.

And he has achieved all this in the face of the most brutal and ugly and unreasoned opposition I have seen in my lifetime.  An opposition that has led to the cratering of our civic responsibility, as more and more of us get our news from sources pushing us away from each other, from those whose major goal is to see those on top stay on top and increase their hold.

He has urged us, in his last State of the Union address, to move to the future with hope, and to find ways to resolve our differences and find solutions together.


I am proud to have had the opportunity to vote for this man four times.  I pray that our choices in 2016 will be between intelligent people, all who want to do the hard work of moving us forward, with respect for every one's input, and compromises that combine the best from all political ideologies.

Looking at the candidates running for President, particularly the leading contenders in the Republican party, I fear that will not be true.


No comments:

Post a Comment