Friday, January 1, 2016

The Best of 2015: TV Dramas

I used to love to do blog and Facebook polls, get everyone's input, and announce the best as picked by my friends and followers.

No more.

I can't get enough people to comment to make it worthwhile.  That may be my fault.  That may be a reflection of lack of traffic.  It may be the way social media works now.

So I'll just share my choices.  If anyone else (Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?) has any choices or other input of their own, I would love to have it.  In fact, if it happened, I would be dancing in the aisle.

BEST MOMENT ON TELEVISION



Well, that isn't precisely the moment, but it is the right TV Show,  Yes, Supergirl brought the best moment of the television year for me.  It was in a recent episode where she found herself temporarily without powers, and she decided to confront a gunned robber in  a convenience store.  She just did it by talking to him, in a caring way, that caused him finally to put down his weapon.  It was the reason I am such a fan of the Superman family, and was such a sharp contrast to the mindless mayhem on the TV show Gotham.

Other shows, in addition to Supergirl, worthy of an honorable mention:  The Flash , Better Call Saul, The Americans, How to Get Away With MurderWayward Pines and iZombie.




5) The Leftovers (HBO).  This show is mystifying, maddening, miraculous - an imaginative extravaganza filled with great characters.  Episodes go in surprising directions, and then reweave at the end to jaw dropping results.  If you can't catch it on HBO, be sure to see it when it becomes available on other streaming platforms.



4) The Walking Dead (AMC) is the ultimate zombie show, both for those who like zombie shows, AND FOR THOSE WHO DON'T.  Marvelously character driven, virtually every character is beloved by somebody, and every character is at risk.  It seemed as many or more people were caught up on whether Glenn survived as were speculating decades earlier as to who shot J.R.!



3)  Yes, you know the drill, my frequent followers.  Agents of SHIELD (ABC) is the BEST show on broadcast TV.  It's the best program on still making 22 episodes a year.  Thank you, Joss Whedon, for the best plotting, dialogue and characters on broadcast TV.



2)  Winter is coming (although you would be hard pressed to convince most South Georgians of that).  Game of Thrones (HBO) continues to excel and bring us first rate storytelling, with breathtaking moments, both small and large scale.Is it better than the books?  I refuse to be drawn into that.  I love them both.



1)  As much as I love the other shows on this list, I have to concede, there has been nothing on as good this year as Fargo (FX).  Unlike the others on this list, it is not science fiction or fantasy (although...there is a moment).  It is just great storytelling with the most colorful characters on television.  Kirsten Dunst will and should win awards for her portrayal as Peggy, the sociopathic hairdresser.  Seek this one out, along with the first season, and join the Fargo brigade, eh!

Coming up, as time allows...TV Comedy/Talk, and also My Year at the Movies.


2 comments:

  1. All my favorite shows! I marathoned How to Get Away with Murder...now I'm jonesing for more! Better Call Saul is one of the best shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ultimate moment of tv this year had to be Glen's apparent death on Walking Dead. I have not been so so involved in a plot line since "Who Shot JR."

    ReplyDelete