Thursday, May 12, 2016

Leaving the Shore

I heard that you had gone to the shore
     and I tried to follow you there
     but I was too late.

I only found your footsteps
     the impressions made in the sand
     of you bare feet

I saw them lead to the swelling tide
     and maybe I imagined it
     but I thought I saw the top of your head

I thought I saw your blonde hair
     peeking through your baseball cap
     it was a quick glimpse, maybe illusory

I shouted for you to come back
     that this was no time to go
     I still needed you

I pleaded with you
     let me see you one more time
     at least to say goodbye

I wanted you to know
     that you were never alone
     and how much I love you

                  always and ever


In the churning distant waves
      I saw the miracle
      I saw your spirit rise

I saw it soaring towards me
      reaching me with arms open
      knocking me down

                   with the force of love


I felt your spirit merge with mine
     
                 And then I knew

                               We would always be together




No comments:

Post a Comment