Monday, May 9, 2016

Passing the Torch and other Monday Musings

Benjamin, an actor torn between writers, his friends Camden and Trent.


I have to give a shout out to my son,Benjamin Strait, for his extraordinary performance in Pierce County High School's Talent Competition. He and two of his friends performed an amazing skit  THEY WROTE THEMSELVES called Writer's Block, with Benjamin being the actor trying to act out the contradictory story being written for him by two writers with very different viewpoints as to how a story should go. His group did not win the competition - that went to a girl who had won statewide acting competitions. But I know what I saw. So I now officially say....THE TORCH HAS BEEN PASSED!!! All Hail the new Strait Acting Champ!

----------------------

Another great big shout out to the cast and crew of The Beverly Hillbillies, who did a great job of bringing the best of the old sitcom to life,  Thankfully, they were like the show in later seasons, and performed the play in color instead of black and white.

I enjoyed the performances of all, but want to particularly note some of friends in the cast: Taylor Mulkey was great as the dancing, finger-snapping, poetry drenched hippie chick.  Brenda Luke played Mrs. Hathaway with exasperated perfection.  Kimberly Beck, one of my closest and dearest friends, got her meatiest role yet at WACT, and was wonderful as the country Cousin Pearl, having to scream, faint, and persuade.  Brittany Peacock had my favorite role, playing Emmaline (or Rita, or any one of many names), the con girl trying to help bilk the Beverly Hillbillies out of a million dollars with her schemes. She got to change personas several times, from country hick to city sophisticate to cold-heated con artist.  I loved it!

----------------------------------------

Shout out to a successful Waygreen event  with the OHC Writer's Guild.  We concentrated on local writers, including books and handmade binders of material, and did quite well,  We almost made as much in one show as we did all of last year!  I sold one each of my collections, including my first ever sale of a poetry collection!  I have moved from being a fake poet to being a fraudulent one!

-------------------------------------------

Shout out to all the wonderful mothers everywhere.  Alison and Benjamin's Meemaw, were treated to a wonderful dinner at Reeal BBQ, eating steak and shrimp.  Then we went to that great show mentioned above, WACT's production of The Beverly Hillbillies.

This was the first year for Greg and Doug without their mother.  My heart reaches out to them.  Remember her well, my boys.  She loved you both very much,

----------------------------------

That's it.  I'm done with the shout outs.  I'm starting to lose my voice.

Until next time,

T.M. Strait

---------------------------------

Postscript:

We lost a great man this weekend.  A man of great achievements and kindness, one who was fundamental in starting and inspiring Purlie Productions.  We lost him to senseless gun violence, killed in a domestic altercation.  It is very, very hard to say goodbye to Jimmie Burke, and I'm at a loss for words.










No comments:

Post a Comment