Wednesday, May 25, 2016

First World Computer Problems



Well, I intended to write more today.  I had some hopes of being coherent and all kinds of wonderful things.  But my Internet had other ideas and decided to take about twenty minutes to finally connect to our desk top.

Yes, I know.  It may be time to get something new.  It's fan operates so loudly that it's hard fro me to hear my song of the day selections.  It's on like Windows version 2 or Vista or something that's like a millennial generations back.

First world problems.  What can I say?

Of course, replacing the computer may mean saving a crap load of stuff to Flash Drives, trying to decide what photos to transfer, going to new Word or Excel programs that may or may not be compatible, trying to remember passwords that I've long forgotten, and countless more transfer problems.  And don't even get me started about "the cloud".

And then there's the problem of what to get.  Laptop?  Notebook?  Desktop?  All in One?  All for One? Mac?  PC? 8 Gigs?  16?  RAM?  SCRAM?

Do I go to Staples or Best Buy?  Do I try to buy local or over the web, through places like Amazon?

Do I get my nose pushed into how old I am by watching Alison and Benjamin put together the new computer while I just watch in confusion?  I mean, does the wireless thingie just transfer over or do you have to do something magical?  Yes, I said magic.  As science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke said. any technology significantly advanced will appear to be magic.  Ok, that might not be quite what he said, but my research time has been etted up by taking twenty minutes just to GET THE INTERWEBS ON.

I have a five day weekend starting up tomorrow (woohoo!), so logically this is when we should deal with it. BUT.......I really want to take major steps to getting History of the Trap released via CreateSpace, and Doug, my middle son, may be coming to visit this weekend, and some out of town friends may stop by.

On the other hand, maybe some of them know something about transferring to and starting up a new computer!

If I can ever figure out what the new computer will be!

Meanwhile, I may have to say good bye to half my allotted morning writing time for awhile.

Sigh.







No comments:

Post a Comment