Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A Superior Trip to The Pictured Rocks


The shores of mighty Lake Superior!  It's cold waters can make you hesitate, even in the summer - but not for these ducks.

I tested and can testify - it darn cold.

The weather was ideal....low 60s and breezy.  Just the way I love it.



Benjamin was ready for his almost three hour boat tour, when he found out that "Skipper" and his first mate "Gilligan" assured him that the trip was perfectly safe.

Luckily, we and others intervened and convinced him it was worth the trip.  Thank goodness he was convinced of its science worthiness by a Professor and a very friendly woman named Mary Ann.



The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore proved to be a breathtaking treat.  The picture above is considered the Indian chief rock, although what I saw seemed more like the Red Dragon from the Bone comics.



We could have chosen to go to the park instead of the boat ride, but I could just see myself walking too far out from the cliffs/.  That is not a specialty of mine - cliff diving.  Especially when in some sections the water is only about three feet deep. 



The boat went into a small cove so we could be surrounded by the rock walls.



One pile of ricks was topped by a tree whose root structure was actually anchored in the mainland.



I loved this underwater tunnel carved out from the rock.  I took a lot of pictures but many of them have parts of  people in them,  It was sometimes hard to get a clear shot.  I had particular trouble with a millionaire and his wife (at least they seemed rich and snooty to me).  There was a also a woman pretty enough to be movie star, but I didn't mind her so much, especially since I was married to her.



This is am old lighthouse on Grand Island, one of Michigan's larger islands.  It takes Mackinac Island a step further - not only no cars but little to no electricity - no TV or wifi.  I don't think we'll be going there.

The UP was nice, but not a place we would like to live.  Too rural and buggy.

But it was nice to explore for a day.




1 comment: