Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Traversing to Traverse City


I don't know.  Maybe the reasons aren't completely rational.  But we love Traverse City.  We haven't been to visit very often.  But it has seemed like the ideal mix of beautiful weather, great scenery, wonderful restaurants and shops.

If we could afford it, we would have a summer condo up here.  

We can't, but it's a nice dream.



A daytime view of Grand Traverse Bay from our hotel room.



Here is Benjamin, standing near the 45th parallel (halfway between the pole and the equator).  I would love to say we went up the part of Michigan called the little finger, but we didn't.  We went up instead a skin tag near it, the Old Mission Peninsula.


This is the Old Mission Lighthouse.  We went up to the top of it.  Not very high, but it was an odd shaped staircase to get up.  I was almost busted for coming down it backwards.  Sometimes I break the rules.  Luckily, I wasn't caught.






















This is a night view from the balcony of our room, overlooking the Traverse Harbor.  Alison did amazing research, and got us just the right room with the ideal view.  If we ever did get a condo, I would love to have a view like this.

The days were around 70 and the evenings in the 50s.  Compared to home, it was so wonderful it almost made me weep.



A highlight of downtown Traverse City is this great restored theatre, the State, that shows quality movies and documentaries.  It is owned by my buddy, Michael Moore.  OK, he's not really my buddy, but I do like him, and we grew up in neighboring towns at about the same time.



Another beautiful sunset outside our hotel window.  Sunset was after 10 PM.  Longer days up north, eh?


Traverse City is on our frequent visit list.  Well, when we can afford it.




3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed Traverse City! With the Cherry Festival and soon after Film festival it's going to get crazy here! Did you see the cool bookstore, Horizon Books, next to the state? You need History of the Trap in there! I just started reading it again. Love the fact I am holding the book in my hand and not my old kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot... A HUGE THANK YOU for adding me into your dedication... it was very sweet of you and I am flattered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were a big help and encouragement to me, thank you! Yes, we got into Horizon Books and I saw all the local books there and I thought...someday, maybe! How awesome would that be!

    ReplyDelete